Chapter Four

a/n: a surprise update because it's eid. eid-al-adha mubarak everyone. stay safe and enjoy the chapter <3

I double checked my timetable to make sure I had come to the right classroom before looking up. Yup, this is the one.

Today was my first class with Mrs. Davies. I had heard she was super strict and took every test, assignment, homework and classwork very seriously. The worst part? She usually started giving tests by the end of the very first week and by now, the second week was almost over. I didn't know anyone who would have this class with me which meant, I was far behind everyone else in class and I needed notes to catch up to them.

"Ya Allah, let there be at least one person I already know," I whispered to myself and bit my bottom lip with a worried frown.

I jumped when the loud bell echoed throughout the hallway and I realized I should head inside. Taking a deep breath, I muttered 'Bismillah' and knocked gently. When I was given the permission to enter, I pushed open the door and snuck into the classroom like a ninja.

Mrs. Davies was sorting her papers on the desk and the students were busy gossiping amongst themselves to the point where they didn't even notice me entering. Just as I was about to head over to the desks, Mrs. Davies looked up in question.

"New student?"

I paused and begrudgingly spun around. "Uhm yes, this is my first class with you."

She gave me a once over, nodding her head before glancing at the students. Her palm connected to the desk loudly several times and the whole class silenced. I winced at the deafening noise and waited for her to stop. "Class, we have a new student with us today. Would you like introducing yourself to everyone?"

"Nah I'll pass." I wished I could say that but I knew she wasn't giving me a choice. I had hoped I wouldn't need to introduce myself to a bunch of teenagers but there I was again, about to have a joke being made out of something I would say.

I looked over the students who were staring back at me like I was about to host a show. Gently clearing my throat, I straightened my back before speaking, "hello, I'm Daneen Mohsin. I'm seventeen. My family is from Palestine but I was born and raised here. I recently moved to this town and uhm, I hope we all get along."

"What?!" A girl dramatically jerked her head up, scrunching her face. "What kind of name is that?"

Ah yes. The question I was expecting.

"Pfft, tell me about it," another boy snickered and I heaved a silent sigh. "Who even names their kid like that?"

I arched my eyebrows at the boy who was trying to stifle a laugh. Wow okay, there was no reason to be that rude.

"Someone with creativity, in my opinion. I haven't heard such a unique name before and it's pretty fascinating, if you ask me."

A random comment caught me off guard and I subconsciously smiled, glancing up at the person who defended me only to have the smile wiped off in a split second. I blinked my eyes twice to make sure they weren't making things up and that what I was seeing wasn't an illusion.

"You're right, Joseph. I looove learning new exotic names," another girl instantly countered but she wasn't even looking at me. Her dreamy eyes were instead directed towards the boy at the back of the class who was staring right at me with a smile that was so close to being a smirk.