Chapter Seventeen

vote and comment! don't be a silent reader ;)

══════════════

Reciting the Salam, I moved my head from the right shoulder towards the left, completing the last step of my Salah.

Remaining in my position, I recited the post-prayer adhkar while glancing around the room I was currently in. It was a luxurious living room with beige leather couches, a large glass table and chairs. It seemed like a sitting area for guests.

The well-mowed lawn at the front had a small water fountain and the main hall had a big chandelier hanging down in the middle with a quadrangle of brown couches set opposite from a huge tv.

The house, as much as I had seen of, mainly consisted of woody colors dominating the furniture and walls. It was truly magnificent and if such a thing was even possible, Joseph's house would probably bully my apartment for fun.

So far, I had met two female housekeepers and a guard who had allowed us in. Joseph didn't tell me anything about any of his family members and I didn't pry.

My eyes moved down and I caught the tips of my fingers poking out from the comfortable fabric of Joseph's warm jacket.

I felt thankful we were able to make a run for it without getting completely drenched in the rain.

The faint sound of rain pattering against the windows reached my ears, calming my nerves. A light scent of a floral air freshener floated through the house and I released a sigh.

In that moment of peace, one of my favorite verses of the Quran from Chapter Az-Zumar brushed my memory and I recited it aloud, the words echoing around me.

Even if it was for a brief moment, I felt at complete ease - and I prayed in my heart, that this feeling would last soon.

My neck snapped back when I felt a presence at the door but found nobody there.

Weird...

I slowly rose to my feet and folded my small prayer mat, stashing it away in my backpack.

As I walked out, I realized there was no one in the hall. I went up to the small side table where I had put my phone to charge.

Joseph had given me a 'spare' charger for the phone but by the looks of it, it seemed brand new. I wasn't sure whether he had told someone to buy a new one or if he already had one lying around.

One of the housekeepers passed by me and I shot her a smile which wasn't reciprocated.

And then, I was left alone again.

I tapped my phone only to realize it hadn't charged yet. Defeated, my eyes roamed around the place when something caught my attention.

There, along one of the walls, several pictures were gracefully hung across, displaying a symmetrical design of frames of different sizes.

A curious smile played on my lips as I realized they were family pictures while walking up to them.

The first picture my gaze landed on seemed to have been taken from the near past in some kind of a party or an event.

I noticed Joseph; he wore a black tuxedo and his brunette hair was professionally set neatly for the first time.

In the centre, a middle-aged man stood with a stern expression and although it was a mere picture, I could feel the strictness radiating from him.

To the right side of the man was another guy who seemed slightly older than Joseph and wore a confident smile, had chiseled jaw and a light stubble. He had a similar face structure as the man but resembled Joseph too.