Chapter One

Joseph Kingston

I drummed my fingers on my car's rolled down window while gripping the steering wheel by the other hand and looked around the school's parking lot. Distant chattering from a crowd of students reached my ears as they commented on the black car passing by in awe.

I nonchalantly drove towards the staff area and a small smile tugged at my lips when I caught an empty space at the far left corner.

That space was reserved for our principal, Mr. Howard. It was a rule to never park there and everyone, including the teachers never dared to disobey. But did that stop me from taking his spot? Hell, no.

No hard feelings, just my little welcome back gift.

Sliding out of the car, I threw my backpack over the shoulder before stopping to catch my reflection on the car's tinted window. On cue, my smile turned confident and I ran my fingers through my hair before continuing towards the entrance with my head held high.

A group of boys stood near the building doors and when their eyes caught me, they paused their conversation with wide grins breaking out on their faces.

"No way!" One of them squinted his eyes playfully. "Is that Joseph Kingston I see?"

"The one and only," I responded, locking palms with him in a firm handshake.

"Welcome back," another one said, offering a side bro hug. "You're looking better than I remember."

I clicked my tongue. "I'm the same as I've always been."

Grinning breezily, I trudged inside the building and recognized some old faces in the crowds. From my peripheral view, I noticed a group of students scowling in my direction and my smile broadened in pride.

Seems like I'm not everyone's favorite. What a bummer.

"Look who's returned. The one and only, Joseph Kingston!" Emmett, one of my four good friends, yelled from the distance. Almost immediately, everyone in the hallway turned around to stare at me with curious eyes.

My smile widened, knowing that I was currently the center of attention and I peered right ahead as I approached my group of friends. "You couldn't have been any louder, could you?" I asked Emmett as he gave me a pat on the shoulder.

"It's not like you can't handle being in the spotlight," Wesley countered and I turned around with my forefinger aimed at him.

"Touché."

"But weren't you staying abroad for another week or two?" Brayden asked with curved lips and my face turned sour.

"Yeah, father is still on his business tour but he sent me back because apparently, Mr. Howard was having trouble living here without me." I scowled at the mention of the principal who had advised father to send me back earlier than planned so I could 'focus on my last year and graduate without hindering my studies'.

"Looks like he's not the only one who missed you." Gibbs crossed his arms, jerking his head at four girls who looked to be sophomores or juniors and were flirtatiously batting their eyes in our direction. I had seen them lurking around me last year too - I guess, I was their sweet little crush.