Chapter Fourteen

I spent the whole weekend sorting out my thoughts and I reached the conclusion that I did not like-like Joseph Kingston.

The reason how I managed to survive as a teenager thus far was by always trying to do the logical thing - and having feelings for Joseph Kingston was not logical. It was pointless and nonsensical.

I mean, what was the point of having feelings for someone you knew would never reciprocate your feelings? Plus, he was always messing around and preferred to take everything as a joke. On top of that, even if I did like him, so did a hundred others who were a better option than me.

And let's not forget the most important thing; he wasn't Muslim. Meaning, even if I did like him, it would lead me nowhere.

Could this be infatuation, then?

No way! I did not even have any special feelings for him and that's that.

I took a seat under a shady tree outside and dug around my backpack for the two jumbo cookies I'd packed this morning.

Mother had befriended a patient at the hospital and she gave mom some cookies which her son had baked for her. It was heartwarming for some reason. Mom said her son wasn't even that old, maybe a high school student but he visited his mother as often as possible.

It felt nice to know ummi had made a friend in her workplace. After all, working with the attire of a Muslim woman was not an easy task.

My mouth watered as I unwrapped the first cookie longingly when it was abruptly plucked out of my hand.

"Hey there."

My face fell as I watched Joseph plopping down on the bench table in front of me and taking a large chunk out of my cookie.

My blood began to boil in indignation. "What is your problem? That's mine!" I exclaimed, snatching the cookie back.

"So you're gonna eat it after me?" he questioned in astonishment before continuing to chew. "I'm cool with that."

I furrowed my eyebrows, assessing the bitten cookie in my grip. Joseph reached forward and took it back. "That's right. The cookie's mine now."

I drew in a long breath to cool myself and turned to stare at Joseph with a stony expression. He munched on the cookie, relishing the treat. "Sorry, it just looked savory I couldn't resist...." he stopped talking all of a sudden, his face twisting a little. "Hold on, what's with this weird...taste?"

My mouth fell agape and I shook my head in disbelief. "First, you steal my cookie and now you have the audacity to insult the taste?"

"No, I mean," He chewed cautiously, his eyes narrowing, "it tastes awfully familiar. Who made it?"

My gaze turned frosty and we maintained eye contact for some seconds before I sucked up my frustration and rose to my feet, walking away from the fields.

"Y'know, my friend once said women can kill you if you eat their food. I had no idea he was being serious." he remarked, dusting his hands as he caught up with me.

I halted in my track, barely keeping my temper in check. "Can you just leave me alone?"

"A loan? I'm not a bank, but I'll see what I can do." He attempted to joke and I shot him an icy glare which made him raise his hands in defense.

"Okay, okay. Sorry I ate your cookie. How can I make it up to you?"

My lips stretched in a tight-lipped sarcastic smile and I shook my head. "There's no need for that. You enjoy the cookie. I'm leaving."