Chapter 13 - Bad Timing

"Let's stay here another night." Elena says to Damon at breakfast.
"Will that be fine with Jenna though?"
Elena shrugs and drinks her coffee.
"I don't think she'd mind." Elena smiles over at Damon. He picks up another pancake and makes a smiley face on it for Elena with the syrup.
"What should we do today?" He asks her.
"You mean there's more to do then what we did last night and this morning?" She winks at him and squeezes his leg.
"Yes actually." He laughs and kisses her cheek. "Let's take the kayak out." Elena points out the window and to the kayak sitting up against the garage.
"And we can have a picnic." Damon says to her.
"Sounds good to me." Elena picks her plate up and puts it in the sink.
"I'm going to go finish getting ready." She kisses Damon on the head and walks to the bathroom.

"Do you know how to kayak?" Damon asks Elena as they place the kayak in the water.
"My mom taught me when I was 9. I had to learn before I left for summer camp!"
"Just checking. Cause I don't." Damon laughs to himself.
"I'll teach you. It's easy actually." She holds out a paddle and shows him which way to turn it and where his hands need to go.
"Okay ready?" She asks him.
"No turning back now we're already out here." He laughs.
"You will do fine!" Elena smiles at him.
They paddle down the lake passing beautiful old abandoned homes and farms. They come to a field right before the forests and paddle into shore.
"Want to have our picnic here?" Damon asks Elena.
"I like it. I'm starving too." They unload the food and lay out a blanket to sit on. Damon sits down and Elena sits in between his legs.
"I love being out here. It's so peaceful." Elena looks around and eats her fruit.
"Elena, don't freak out but I think we sat down right beside a wasps nest." Damon points to the nest at the end of the blanket.
"Oh my gosh..we need to move." Elena looks at the wasps flying around.
"How did we not notice!" She stands up panicking. Damon grabs her hands just as the wasps come flying out of their nest. They take off running back to the kayak.
"Paddle Damon! Paddle!"
Damon paddles as fast as he can.
"I think we're good now!" He says.
"Good grief. First the tree house and now this. Maybe we should stay inside and watch movies." Elena jokes and they laugh.
"How about tonight we lay out on the deck and look at the stars." Damon says to Elena. She turns back to look at him and nods her head yes with a smile.
"I love you." She tells him.

When they arrive back to the cabin they go inside and lay down on the couch.
"I feel tired after that." Damon stretches out and pulls a blanket over him.
"Me too." Elena says yawning.
"Let's go back upstairs and take a nap." They stand up and walk up to the bedroom. Elena lays down first, kicking her shoes off. Damon flops down beside her and pulls her into his arms.
"I sleep better knowing I have you in my arms." He whispers into her ear. She giggles and turns around to face him. She kisses his nose and then his lips.
"I sleep better knowing I get to wake up to your cute face." Elena says to him.
Damon runs his fingers through her hair and then down her arms. He stops at her waist and flips her on to him. Elena lays her head down on his chest.
"I'm falling asleep." And before Damon could say anything back Elena is fast asleep. He lays there feeling her heart beat against his.

"Damonnnnn. Wake up!" Elena kisses him and his eyes open.
"What time is it?" He asks looking for the clock.
"6:15. We slept for 3 hours." Elena says holding up 3 fingers.
"Can we go make dinner?" Elena stands up pulling his arms. Damon gets up and pulls her in for a hug.

"Don't!" Elena screams as she runs around the kitchen from Damon who is trying to put icing on her face.
"Come on it's just a little icing." He catches up to her and puts some on her nose. Elena grabs a cupcake and smacks it onto Damon's face. He takes a cupcake and throws it at her hitting her shirt.
"You're going to get it!" Elena runs up to him and hugs him getting the icing all over him now. He kisses her getting more icing on her face.
"I'm going to go take a shower." She winks at him and takes her shirt off as she walks away. Damon follows behind her. Elena strips down and steps into the shower. She eyes Damon who just walked in. He takes his clothes off and gets in with her. She turns around and starts washing her body, Damon placing his hand over hers and moving where ever she went. She turns back around and looks up at Damon. He kisses her. She bites his lip and runs her hands through his hair. He lifts her up and she wraps her legs around his waist.
"Oh my elena.." Damon moans out.
She kisses his neck, breathing loudly.
He puts her up against the wall. Elena moans and keeps kissing him. He stands Elena back onto her feet still kissing her neck.
"Hello?!" Elena and Damon's eyes get wide.
"Who the hell is that?" Elena whispers moving behind Damon. She turns the water off and they grab a towel.
"Hello? Are you guys here?"
"Shit. That's Aunt Jenna." Elena opens the door and yells back to Jenna.
"Uhm upstairs Jenna!" Elena runs into the bedroom closing the door behind her. Damon stays standing in the bathroom.
"Hey, can I come in?" Aunt Jenna taps on the door.
"Yeah I'm just changing." Elena throws on a shirt and pulls on a pair of skinny jeans.
"Where's Damon?" Jenna asks.
"He just got into the shower." Elena points to the bathroom. Aunt Jenna gives her a weird look.
"Well Alaric and I haven't heard from you guys since the night you left so we go worried and came to check on you."
"Sorry, we've just been busy up here having fun. We haven't used are phones at all." Elena says.
"Well when you guys are finished getting ready come down stairs." Aunt Jenna says and shuts the door behind her.
"Can I come out now?" Damon whispers out of the bathroom. Elena opens the door and puts her hand over her mouth laughing.
"Do you think she heard us?" Damon says while putting a shirt on.
"I think they did hear us, Jenna gave me a weird look like I had been up to something." Elena kisses him on the cheek.
"We weren't that loud." He says and winks at her.
"Let's hope they didn't though." They both start laughing.
"She wants us to come down stairs." Elena takes his hand and they walk down stairs into the living room.
"Hey you two love birds." Alaric says as they enter the room.
"Care if we stay here tonight? It's to late to drive back tonight." Alaric asks them.
"Yeah, sure that's fine." Elena says sitting down beside Damon. He puts his arm around her.
"So what have you guys been doing?" Aunt Jenna asks.
"We went out in the kayak today and got chased by bees. Oo, the tree house broke with us in it." Elena starts to laugh.
"Did you two have a food fight?" Alaric points to the kitchen.
"Oo about that. Yeah we did." Damon raises his hand.
"I started it. We will clean it up before we go to bed." He says with a smile.

Damon and Elena clean up their food fight mess in the kitchen.
"Did you hear them when we got here?" Jenna asks Alaric. Alaric covers his eyes with his hands and nods yes.
"I think Elena knows we did." Jenna says and they laugh.