Chapter 14 - The Truth Comes Out

"You do know you are going to have to tell her eventually, right?" Stefan says to Damon.
"You never did! And you dated her for 7 months stefan!" Damon yells to him.
"I know and she will hate me for that too. But you guys are madly in love. She needs to know."
"Are you saying you didn't love her like I do?" Damon looks at his brother and shakes his head.
"I did love her, Damon. But something just kept me from telling her."
"I just don't know how to tell her I'm something that she thinks is a fairy tale." Damon sits down and puts his head in his hands. Stefan walks over to him.
"Damon, we could tell her together."
"No. I will do it. Alone. Today."
Damon stands up and is out there door before Stefan can turn around.

Damon drives to pick Elena up. He's taking her to the house he grew up in, in 1839.

"Hey handsome." Elena says as she gets in his car. He leans over and they kiss.
"Hey beautiful." He smiles at her after they kiss.
"So where is we are going?" She asks him.
"To where I grew up. I want to talk to you about some things." He says and sees her face expression change to a worried look. Which makes him hurt inside. He grabs her hand and mouths "I love you" to her. She grips his hand harder.

When they arrive to where his house used to stand they walk up to some bricks scattered out.
"So what do you want to talk about?" Elena leans up against a tree stump.
"Elena this is going to be a lot to take in, okay? I just need you to be patient with me and try to understand all of this. Please." He grabs her hand.
"Anything, Damon." She looks at him.
"Okay." Damon starts to talk. Telling her things about his childhood. Mentioning things that happened in the 1840's. He keeps watching her face, seeing how confused she looks. She doesn't speak. He continues about how his dad hates vampires and planned to kill them all in Mystic Falls in one night. When he mentions the vampires Elena shakes her head that she doesn't get it. He tells her how the girl that he was in love with was a vampire and gave him her blood that night. Damon walks over to another tree stump and sits down. He tells her how he seen Katherine gets shot with a wooden bullet and how his dad and the other men dragged her into a carriage. He tried to save her but his dad shot at him. And how Stefan tried helping but was shot as well.
"Damon. This isn't funny." Elena stands up.
"I'm not lying to you, Elena. Everything i'm saying is true."
"Vampires? Those are..are fairy tales! You are lying and I don't get why you are telling me this, Damon! Are you trying to make me hate you?" She looks at him with tears in her eyes.
"Elena. Listen. I died. I woke up and this guy had to help me. He made me feed to finish the transformation into a vampire. I'm not lying to you Elena. I'm telling you this because I love you!" Damon walks to her but she backs up.
"I don't believe you!" She cries.
"Elena! Look. Watch." Damon picks up a sharp rock and cuts his arm with it. He watches Elena's eyes. She touches his arm as the cut heals back to normal. Like he didn't cut himself at all. She shakes her head.
"How? How is all of this true. You are a vampire? And Stefan? He is too?"
"Yes. We both are, Elena. He wanted to tell you but he never got the chance too. And I'm only telling you now because I love you, Elena. I love you." Elena sits back down.
"The necklace you are wearing, that Stefan gave you. He told you to never take it off right?" She nods at him. "It's filled with vervain. So we can't compel you. So no one can hurt you." He tells her how vervain is a vampires weakness.
"Damon. I don't know what to say about all this. It's so much to take in. Something I grew up believing was just fairy tales, is actually real. And I'm dating one. I'm in love with one." She walks over to Damon.
"I..I love you Damon. It's going to take time for me to get used to this. But I believe you. And I love you. Nothing can change that, okay?"
Damon grabs her and pulls her into him. Holding her tight.
"Elena, you can't tell anyone. This has to stay between the three of us, okay? Because if people find out, they will try to kill us. You don't understand, people at the sheriff know about the history in Mystic Falls with vampires and they are prepared for it. Caroline's mom, she knows about vampires. Tyler's mom and dad? Yeah they know too. So you can't tell Caroline, you can't tell bonnie, and you can't tell your family."
Elena looks at him.
"I promise I won't." She lays her head down on his shoulder.
"When you eat...do you drink from humans?"
"We drink blood bags from the hospital. Stefan used to drink from animals. I never did though cause it doesn't make you strong like human blood. Elena, I would never a human. You keep me strong. You are the reason I'm the Damon I am today. I used to be bad."
She kisses him.
"I still love you no matter what, Damon."

Damon and Elena go back to her house. He walks upstairs with her. Elena sits down in her window seat.
"Is it okay if I take a shower here?" He asks Elena.
"Yeah go ahead that's fine." She smiles at him. After he goes into the bathroom Elena pulls out her diary.

Dear Diary,
Today Damon told me something I never thought would be true. I'm not allowed to say what, but it's big. I love him no matter what though. Cause I know he would never hurt me. And he loves me just the same. I love being with him. He makes me so happy. Something that's been hard to do since mom and dad died. And he tells me I keep him strong. That makes me even more happy. I never wrote about our weekend away together. It was amazing. I love being alone with him. And I don't want anything to change us.