°2°

The choosing ceremony

The day of choice.
The day you choose what your next life will be.
The choice of whether to stay or whether to explore and adventure to new places.
Whether you fail or not, that depends on you.
This choice will either ruin your life or make your life better.

Blair rolled over in bed, her sleep coming to an end, she sighed wiping the sleep out of her eyes. Today was the day. She stretched her body before getting up and turning on the shower. She removed her clothes and went in the shower letting the warm water envelope her, it bounced off her skin tumbling towards the drain. After she showered, she moisturised her body then got dressed into her normal dull grey outfit. She brushed her hair then dried it, letting her long straight black hair fall onto her shoulders.
Blair was lucky enough to be blessed with looks; having plump pink lips with sun kissed skin. She had dark brown eyes and sharp dark eyebrows. She was quite a looker compared to some of the girls in her faction.

After eating breakfast she brushed her teeth. She was putting on her shoes when she saw her mom come downstairs fully dressed, her brows furrowed as her mom put her shoes on as well.
"I'm coming to your ceremony." Was all she said, but it was a lot, her mom never spoke she just hummed or nodded, but never spoke so this shocked Blair.
Blair nodded heading for the door, her mom followed her out the front door, they both made their way to the ceremony. She walked, alongside the other factions, the different colours mixing showing who was who and where they belonged. They all walked towards the building, some people having wide smiles on their faces probably knowing what they are going to choose, others that had a look of nervousness, like they had no idea what to choose, whether to stay or whether to switch. Like Blair.

Blair and her mother entered the room looking at all the factions in their designated area. Blair was about to sit in her assigned area, when her mom pulled her back, she looked back glaring at her mom until Jeanine the leader of Erudite spoke up.
"Blair. I didn't think you'd be choosing today," she fake smiled.
"How do you know my name?" Blair questioned.
"Well being the leader of Erudite your gonna know everything, but also your name has been spoken of ever since that night," she sighed.
"Yeah well..." She trailed off looking at her feet.
"Anyways, I hope you make the right choice and choose the right faction," Jeanine said before walking off.
Fake bitch.
Blair thought.

Once seated and the room had fell quiet Jeanine had appeared on stage giving a speech.
"The faction system is a living being composed of cells, all of you. And the only way it can survive and thrive is for each of you to claim your rightful place. The future belongs to those who know where they belong." After her speech, Marcus Eaton had appeared on stage.
"When you leave this room, you will no longer be dependents but full-fledged members of our society. Faction before blood," after he said the last bit everyone repeated it, 'Faction before blood.'
"I know these past years we haven't spoke or interacted, but I just want to let you know that no matter what you choose I'll still love you," her mom spoke from beside her, shocking Blair.
She didn't know what to do or what to say, she didn't know whether to cry, laugh, rage. All she did in the end was stay silent, to let her thoughts consume her.
Her mom hadn't shown her the slightest bit of affection, so why now? A strange emotion lay in the pit of Blair's stomach.

"Blair Williams." A voice snapped her out of her mind, she looked around to see people staring at her, waiting for her to stand and choose.
Blair just shook off her emotions, walking towards the front. She stared at the five marble bowls that had different things inside of them, representing each faction.
She grabbed the cold blade, tracing it along her palm, then adding pressure the blade splitting her skin, making it weep with blood. She placed the bloody blade onto the table , realising she had cut a bit too deep.
Now was the choice, adventure out to a new faction or stay in her boring one for the sake of her mom.
But she knew what she had to do.
She knew what she was going to choose.
Her hand hovered over the bowl waiting for the drip of her blood to reveal her new faction. It dropped making the coals beneath her hand sizzle.
"Dauntless!"
The people of dauntless erupted into cheers, welcoming her with big arms.
She walked over to her new home, looking up to see her mom...smiling? Maybe she was just glad to get rid of Blair.

After the ceremony had finished and they made it out, everyone began to run, the breeze whipping at their faces, laughter filling the air. Blair ran after them, she was quite fast so she was in the middle. They then began to climb the yellow poles of the train tracks. Blair slithered her body up it, gripping the metal tightly as she lifted her body up. She pulled the rest of her body up onto the track. She looked around to see a few transfers but not many. They all began to laugh, pretending to shove each other off of the track. Blair shared a small smile to herself. This is what life was suppose to feel like, it was suppose to have that adrenaline rush, that rush of excitement.

She was broke out of her thoughts when she saw people running further, she looked back to see a train approaching, so she made a run for it.
She watched as she saw dauntless fling themselves into the cart of the train. She was going to have to do that? Amazing. She watched as the end of the train had come into view so she sped up, running faster. She jumped grabbing the pole on the side of the train, hurling herself into the cart. She leaned her back against the wall of the train, breathless. A girl with light coco skin and straight dark brown hair sat back breathing heavy, another young girl bumped into the other girl.

"You made it, I'm Christina," she introduced herself.

"Beatrice," the girls then both look at Blair expecting her to introduce herself.

"Blair." Was all she said.

Growing up Blair never had friends, still doesn't. People always thought she was a cold-hearted bitch or she was too icy for their liking.
"Cool name," Christina smiled. But no return of a smile from Blair.
"Is it just me or are they trying to kill us?" Christina chuckled making Beatrice laugh lightly.
The train ride wasn't that long, a dark skinned woman scanned the room before telling everyone to get ready.
Get ready?
For what?
Blair stood up and leant her face against the train, watching the sun and the land below.
She watched as she saw people jumping from the carts and onto the building below, either landing perfectly or a stumbling and falling mess.
"They're jumping," Beatrice said from beside her.
"What?" Christina asked as she came closer to them.
"What happens if we don't jump," a boy with shaggy brown hair asked.
"What do you think? You'll be faction less. Good luck Al," the other boy with brown hair sarcastically spoke.
Everyone else had jumped off leaving the three to jump.
"Together?" Christina asked.
Blair rolled her eyes and ran far back then jumping off the train.
She leapt through the air, the wind pushing up against her body, howling in her ears. Her body met with the gravel on the top of the building, she rolled standing to her feet, wiping off any pieces of gravel that had stuck to her.

Moments after, Christina and Beatrice had collided with the gravel as well, groaning.
"Alright listen up," a deep voice bellowed.

Blair followed the voice to see a tall, blonde man, with an eyebrow piercing and tattoos that lay on his neck. She walked over to where him and everyone else was, Beatrice and Christina trailing behind her.

"I'm Eric, I'm one of your leaders, if you want to enter dauntless this is the way in. And if you don't have the guts to jump then you don't belong in dauntless," he explained.

"Is there water at the bottom or something?" A brunette boy in blue asked.

"I guess you'll find out," Eric smirked, "or not."

"We just jumped, they want us to jump again?" Christina scoffed.

"Someones gotta go first...so who's it gonna be?" Eric asked scanning his eyes across everyone.

Silence surrounded them, everyone took turns to glance at each other. Blair let out a loud sigh before stepping forward.

"Me."

A/N: so we've finally got to dauntless, we'll sort of. I don't want the chapters to be that long so they will be broken down. I didn't wanna add Beatrice and Christina at first but then I thought why not. <3