Numbers

I burst through the doors of Rose Café, drawing attention to myself. My best friend, Al, stares me down from behind the counter. He opens his eyes and waves his hand towards himself, gesturing for me to hurry up and get over there.

   I speed walk behind the counter and set my things down at my feet. I turn to the wall behind Al and I and grab my brown apron. The logo for Rose Café is slowly wearing off. The giant coffee stain doesn't make the apron look any better either.

   Al leans into my ear and asks, "Where have you been? You're late!" He rings the bell to his left holding a finished coffee in his right hand.

   "I know, I know, I'm sorry! I lost track of time." I frown, hastily trying to memorize the orders the other employees are yelling at each other. It was an oddly busy day at the café, which doesn't usually happen. 

   "Hey bestie can you make this caramel macchiato? I'm making this cold brew right now.", Al asks. His hands are already full with papers, coffee beans, and dusts. 

   "Of course!", I agree. I didn't show up to work to do nothing.

   I finish the coffee with no problems. It's not too hot, or too cold. The ratio of caramel to coffee is perfect. It's smell is tempting me to drink it myself, and I'm using every thing I have to stop that urge. I walk around the back of Al and ring the bell, but notice nobody is coming to take it. They're all pre-occupied serving, brewing, or taking orders.

    "Want me to take it?", Al asks. He finishes brewing another coffee. "Nah it's fine.", I say while shaking my head. "Which customer?"

  Al and I scan the room before Al points to a guy with a flawlessly styled blonde wolf cut. He's wearing all black, and his makeup is simple but attractive. Al and I stare at him in awe.

   "Wow.", I say quietly. "He looks so cool-" Al places one hand on my shoulder. "Just go serve the coffee before you start simping AGAIN and get nervous." I glare at him, causing him to laugh as he turns to serve his new coffee. I start walking towards the customer, focusing on controlling my breathing.

    "Hello! Order of a caramel macchiato?", I hold up the saucer with the white mug, smiling. He looked up from their phone and smiled back. 

   "Mhm." He reached out his hands for the coffee, and I carefully gave it to them.

   "Let somebody know if you need anything, okay?", I said with a small smile. I tried to be as polite as I could- He looked like he could beat you up and win within a matter of seconds.

I studied his face: Blue eyes, tiny freckles speckled about their face, pretty lips. He caught me staring and snickered.

    "You okay?", he asked with a smirk creeping onto their lips. I could feel my neck flush red as I stumbled backwards.

   "Yeah haha-" I scratched my neck and nervously walked away.

   I could see Al from behind the counter, cheeks bright pink from holding in a laugh. When the customer was out of ear shot, I embarrassedly sped over to Al. He let out his laugh and started banging on the counter, his torso buckling forwards.

   "Oh my god stop it-" I tried not to look at the person, but I could see their blurry figure out of the corner of my eye. They were glancing at me, while sipping their coffee.

   "I'M SORRY I'M SORRY BAHAHAHAHAHHA" Al was still laughing, drawing the man's attention. 

   "Oh my god Al he's looking at us-" I crouched down behind the counter, pretending I dropped something.

   Al stood back up straight, attempting to pull himself together. He looked back at the customer and saw they were walking towards us. Al crouched back down and whispered excitedly, "Scarlet he's walking over here!" My eyes widened, confused and scared.

"Wait WHAT!? AL I CAN'T EMBARRASS MYSELF AGAIN" I began whining to Al, but he was already up talking to them.

    "Yeah I would like to speak to the girl who just served me." Their voice was attractive, somehow. I prayed to God they weren't reporting a complaint about me. I didn't need to be embarrassed TWICE.

   I got up as if I wasn't embarrassed and as if I totally didn't whine like a child to Al. I pretended the customer wasn't there and carried on making drinks.

   Al smirked, and looked my direction. "Oh, heeeer?", spoke Al with a sly tone in his voice. I kicked Al's ankle, silently expressing: HOLY HELL AL WHAT ARE YOU DOING!? Al yelped in pain.

   I innocently looked at Al, pretending I didn't hear the customer ask for me (Or give him a fresh new bruise). "Hm? What's up?", I asked Al. I could tell by the look on Al and the customer's faces that mine was still cherry red and that they both knew I was acting. Al silently made fun of me with a slick grin.

   "This customer wants to speak to you~" Al played along despite all three of us knowing about my façade. I looked at the customer, making eye contact. 

   "Uhm- okay." I took little steps out from behind the counter, treading as slow as possible.

   I stood in front of them and realized how much taller they were. "Was there a problem?" I let out a nervous giggle, trying to lighten the mood.

    Another smirk appeared on their face as they loomed over me. "So, your name's Scarlet, correct?" This caught me off guard. I didn't know why they were asking me my name when I had a name tag. 

   "Um yeah." They moved some hair out of their face, revealing their enticing eyes.

   "Why don't you join me for a coffee?", they asked. Their smirk transformed into a friendly grin as they waited for my response. 

   "Uh- Um-" I looked to Al for assistance. He was mouthing "YES" frantically while nodding his head. We barley spoke a sentence to each other, so how and why was this person asking me to have a coffee with them? Especially after I embarrassed myself.

   I turned back to them and sheepishly agreed. I knew nothing about them, but with Al's encouragement I was drawn to know more about this mysteriously attractive person.

   "Sure! But I can't right now unfortunately because of work." I let out another nervous laugh and held my hands together behind my back.

   "Ah, that's okay. Here's my number in case you have time." They took out a random receipt from one of their large pockets and scribbled down their number with a pen from the counter. 

   "Here ya go." They handed me the paper with their soft hands. "Thanks", I responded happily. "See ya soon."

    They waved me goodbye before placing a 20 on the counter in front of Al. Al offered them their change but they ignored him and just walked away.

    After they left, Al and I turned to each other and it finally sank in. This mysterious person wanted to have coffee with ME. Who new I would be making a new friend so suddenly? And someone like them. They seemed kind and were definitely attractive despite the amount of clothing that was covering their body.

    I was still tomato red, but my cheeks were brighter this time. I was fangirling while Al hyped me up. Al watched as I nervously typed his number into my phone.

    "Message them! Message them!", insisted Al. I sheepishly covered my face under my apron.

   "Nooooo... It's too early! Besides I'm still embarrassed." I finished work that day confused, excited, but most importantly, un-prepared.