25

"I think it would be best ending things with this Robbie character, we have no idea what his intentions are with you."

"He has no family. That's why he clings to you, he's after our money!"

"Seriously. Listen to me, your best friend, and see that you can do better."

"We can't do this, Dan. Not when you're with him; with fucking Robert. Go to sleep."

"He will break your heart, Danielle."

Everyone was against Robbie and I.

And I mean...every single person in my life. No matter what he'd done for me, or how he made me feel, it hadn't been enough for them.

Except for Mum.

Dad hated him from the moment they met, refused a handshake, refused to acknowledge him past his inexpensive clothing and old shoes. Robbie made an effort to find work, a flat, and tried his best to purchase things that wouldn't get him disgusted looks. Not once did he allow me to buy him anything, even for his birthday and anniversaries, he wanted to prove he could do it himself.

But it hadn't been enough.

And I don't mean Dad was just being protective of his only child, no, not even slightly. He must've had some sort of radar that had gone off, claiming that he would hurt me eventually, that he would ruin me for the sweet girl I was. He had been half-right, I guess. I am ruined, in more ways than one. But that's okay.

Apparently, Robbie wasn't rich enough for me. He wasn't smart, nor did he have any sort of family behind him for support after his parents died. But I had loved him, why was that not the most important thing?

I argued with my dad daily, hourly, at every given opportunity he had to tell me I was wasting my life by being with him. Robbie had no idea what his opinions were until we sat down for dinner. My arsehole of a father decided then was the perfect time to ask what he could possibly do for me, what he could offer the rich girl who had everything she could dream of.

Being in love with each other wasn't enough.

I remember the pain in my chest, terrified he would leave me. I'd be sitting with my head down, listening to Robbie try to fight his corner. It had been something that became ongoing over the years while Eric stood aside, watching and listening to me beg them to accept my boyfriend.

But Mum stuck up for him.

She always stuck up for him.

She always stood by me and said that she could never be mad at me for who I fell in love with.

And she always held my hand and told me I could make my own decisions when it came to such a strong, powerful emotion, that she would never go against how I feel.

She lied.

I usually love silence, a quietness so calming that I can vanish into a book or some sort of sub-dream state, in a bid to hide away from reality. I'd take the imaginative sound of birds chirping within a whooshing breeze, an echoed wave on the opposite side of the glass than the horrific atmosphere right now.

Mum's face is red with rage, slowly stepping towards us as Eric keeps me behind him. I'm breathless, emotions reeling, flipping between the exciting adrenaline of our near kiss and the horror that we've been caught, before we could even get to that point.

Pulling myself away from behind my bodyguard, I cross my arms, glancing down at Eric's hoodie stuck to my body from the mud, my eyes finding hers. "It's not what it looks like."