29

"So the party is on Saturday, and I need you to keep an eye on the children's area we are setting up in the dining room. Every employee within the dome has been invited, some have to bring their kids, so you're on babysitting duty. I'll have security doubled up for the event since we've made no progress with the investigation."

I nod to my dad, desperate for his live holograph to vanish so I can run to the shower. "Ainsley will help."

"Yes, the more help the easier it'll be for you. I'm in talks with Eric about possibly bringing you back to VIP, but two houses have been broken into over the past week. It's going to take time."

I nod again. "That's okay. It's less of a walk to work from here, anyway." Shifting my weight on each foot, I make sure my hair covers my neck, my collarbone. Gareth has already pointed out that Eric must have been hungry during training, and no matter how many times I tell him they are from grapples, he doesn't believe me.

Dad seems in a cheery mood, he continues to tell me the plans for the party, the theme, times, and arranges for me to stay overnight there. He's unsure of how high a risk that is, but he's trying to work out how these people keep hacking the system.

The system Eric created.

Why do I find that such a turn on?

"Gareth has been placed on manor patrol for the night, so I will have Eric escort you."

My eyes widen, knowing fine well Mum will go nuts. "Why Eric? Why not Frank?"

He huffs, shoving both hands into his pockets as his three-dimensional image takes a few steps to the right. "Don't argue with me on the matter, Sweetheart. The pair of you need to learn to get along. This bickering has been going on for years now." He laughs once. "I thought living together for weeks would have made you both closer, or at least tolerable. I guess I was wrong."

"Hmm," is all I can reply to Dad.

"He's my most trusted employee. Please, for my sake and his, don't give him any crap by trying to slip out of the party and get yourself captured by whoever is after you. Eric is working hard to find these animals, it's all he's been doing. Cut him some slack by not being a problem tonight, got it?"

I blink. "Loud and clear."

Images of Eric on top of me fill my mind, my cheeks heating instantly. Between his lips on mine, and the way he'd looked at me when I left his house... God. How much I wish I could tell my parents that I feel safer than ever, that I'm starting to feel happy, content. That today, spending time with Dad's friend, has been one of the best in years.

Years.

He'd said years, in the same context as I had. The word had been spoken so softly before his lips descended on mine, and took my breath away. It's been that long, the tension, the pull. And now the invisible rope between us is circling our bodies, intertwining our broken souls.

It makes me feel giddy.

God, I like Eric. I really like him. And he's... mine? Right? And I'm his? I might be overthinking, but that's the words he used while we...

"Did you hear me, Sweetheart?"

Oops.

I smile. "Of course." Nope, haven't got a clue what he just said, I'm too focused on getting the smell of Eric off me before someone figures it out. Gareth is already suspicious, what with the way he keeps looking at me funny and repeatedly asking what moves got me my marks. Thank God my hair is hiding them now. "I'll see you Saturday, Dad. I love you."