Chapter Six: The Attempt

John woke up first that morning. He got up and decided to make breakfast for everyone. He kept on thinking about what Arlo said yesterday. So he decided to attempt to be "friends" with them all, while taking baby steps of course. Because, maybe they were trying to be friends with them. Maybe John was the one pushing them away. There's only one way to find out after all.

                                    John heard a yawn behind him, "Good morning Sera."  Seraphina smirked, "Calling me Sera again huh?" John laughed, "Better be grateful. Now help me set up breakfast." Unlike the other day, John had made a common camp breakfast, eggs and hash browns. There was also some pieces of bacon and bread on the side.

                                  Arlo was the next person to wake up, "What is this smell?" Arlo walked up to the wooden tables and sat down on a bench. "John made us all breakfast!" Seraphina explained. "Oh?" Arlo stared directly at John. John quickly looked away. "How nice of you. It smells delicious." Seraphina was just in shock. "When did you two become friends?" Isen and Blyke started coming out of their tents. "I'd say we are... on better terms after yesterday in the woods." Arlo replied eating his eggs. Seraphina stared at the two, "I guess getting lost together wasn't that bad."

                                  Despite just waking up, Blyke and Isen acted like they each drank a gallon of coffee. "OUCH, IDIOT YOU STEPPED ON MY TOE!" Blyke yelled. "WELL EXCUSE ME, I JUST WOKE UP! YOUR TOE WILL LIVE!" Isen remarked. Everyone often wondered how both were best friends. It made Seraphina being friends with a "cripple" more believable, but then again that ended up being a lie.

                                  Remi woke up after hearing those two scream at each other. "Good morning everyone!" Remi causally pushed Blyke and Isen to the side and they both hit a tree. "Ooh is that hash browns I smell!" Remi ran over letting Blyke and Isen stumble upon each other. Isen was the first person to finish his entire breakfast. Blyke was second. Those two could turn anything to a competition. Everyone was talking together but John stayed quiet the entire time. Communicating with others was harder than he thought. When he talked to Seraphina months ago, it all came naturally.

                                  Arlo noticed John struggling, and he wasn't just going to ignore it this time. "So John, how did you learn to cook?" John blinked surprised. "Well um, my dad being busy and my mom absent, I had to just learn myself. It stayed like that until I moved into the dorms. But soon after Blyke moved out so..." John didn't know how he thought he could be friends with them all. Days earlier, he was beating students up, including Blyke. But now... he was at Camp Creekwater with the people he beat up himself. Would they all really just...forgive him? So easily?

                                "Dang Blyke, you left poor Johnny to himself." Seraphina nudged Blyke in the shoulder. "Well I mean after finding out he was Joker I kinda panicked you know?" Seraphina rolled her eyes. "Well what would you do?" Blyke protested. "Be the bestest friend I could be, duh." "Is that even a word-"  Isen turned his head to John, "if you want him back I'd gladly give him to you." John was a little shocked by his offer, then again it made perfect sense. "Wow okay then, why is everyone always not on my side?" Blyke complained. Remi laughed to the point where she almost fell. "Why would we be on your side?" Arlo smirked, "And oh I forgot to ask, what did you get on that English test?"

                                "So um you see...ENGLISH IS A HARD LANGUAGE OKAY?! It was SUPER HARD! I got a 48 but you can't judge me." John laughed, "And I thought I was dumb." Seraphina put her hands on the table, "What do you mean? Remember that project you did once that ended up-" "NO NEED TO BRING THAT UP AHAHAHAHH. And at least I'm not as bad as Blyke, I got a 92."

                                  Silence. Just silence filled the campsite. John nervously sweated, "Wait is it actually that unbelievable-"

                              "EXCUSE ME, I GOT A 73!" Isen yelled. "HOW DID YOU GET SUCH A HIGH GRADE?" Seraphina exclaimed. "Well you see, because of a certain roommate leaving me I had lots of time to spare and lots of things I didn't understand and couldn't ask help for. So, I started studying when I was bored." Isen fell off the bench, "HoW dO yOu StudY wHeN yOu'Re BoReD? I coULd NevEr!"

                               One hour went by and John was actually getting along with them. Though, the entire time John never apologized once, that could wait later, as John wasn't ready for that yet. The entire hour nobody mentioned the problems happening at Wellston. It was just the beginning after all.

                               Just like what the decided yesterday, they all went hiking. The mountain was pretty high but had easy trails on it to follow, the only problem was the branches and plants covering the way. There were thorns everywhere. Blyke's finger bled until it looked like his own hair, "Why me? Just why? Do the gods hate me?" After hearing Blyke complain for so long, they all finally decided to rest.

                             "Ow! It stings!" Blyke yelped in pain. Remi was adding some sort of ointment on his cut. Elaine wasn't there unfortunately (?) so it made things much harder. Arlo and John were staring at the map. "Should we switch to this trail or keep on going?" Arlo asked. John rolled his eyes, "Yeah I don't think Blyke can last and even harder trail. At least Isen is being careful." Once Isen heard that, he started being proud of himself, saying "Hmph!" and taunting Blyke. "I already regret saying that," sighed John. Seraphina was looking at the plants growing around the resting area. "Hey I think this one is poisonous-"

                           Like Isen's reaction when Arlo played country music in the car, Blyke started going crazy. No wonder they both were friends. "That's it, I'm coming down!" Blyke stood up and started his way down the mountain, then tripped. "BAHAHAHAHHAAH!!" Isen was now laughing at Blyke while pointing fingers at him. Remi sighed and helped him up.

                           A concerned old couple walked past, "what a chaotic group." the old lady mumbled. If only they knew these were students from Wellston Private High School. John stood up, "I think it's time we getting moving." Everyone nodded their head in agreement (besides Blyke) and they made their way up.

                         Suddenly, a bunny popped up out of nowhere. Blyke started feeling at peace, no longer complaining. Meanwhile, Isen received that karma from taunting Blyke. Turns out, Isen was afraid of bunnies. "EHEHHEHEH I'LL JUST STAY OVER HERE DON'T MIND ME." Isen then walked several steps backward.  "Aww! It's so cute!" Remi was a victim to its adorableness.

                        The bunny then approached Arlo, "Uh why is it going close to me? Get away organism." He started shaking his feet shooing it away.  Then John walked over, "It's okay bunny, Arlo doesn't appreciate you, but I do!" John then walked towards the bunny, bent down with a big warm smile and arms spread out wide. The bunny looked up at John, "..." then ran away.

                        Silence. There was just silence. Then laughter. Apparently the concerned old couple was still there and started laughing too. Arlo walked up to John, "Do you need emotional support?" John, finally looking up from the ground, replied, "Yes please." Arlo patted him on the back, then they all moved up towards the mountain. Every single animal they approached ran away as soon as they saw John. John was very sad for the rest of the day.  He became extremely grumpy and was rude to everyone, including his emotional support. When they were making their way down the mountain, that same bunny appeared again.

                       John quickly frowned, and just walked past the bunny. Then another, different bunny stopped him. Then another appeared, and soon enough a whole army of bunnies appeared in front of John. "What the-"

                      The bunny who had ran away from John earlier extended its paws and offered John some fruits and nuts.

                      John was literally crying tears of joy, and Arlo was recording the entire thing. The old couple which was still somehow along side them smiled, "Ah, youth." They arrived at the campsite, munching on the fruit the bunnies gave them. John was really happy for the rest of the day. John even ate Arlo's chili. And that was how Monday ended, and how Tuesday began.

(1443 words! These chapters are getting longer...)