one

"Hey Nico!"

I turned around. It was Astra. One of my best friends. She was technically from the other side of the school, but she usually dropped by here to visit me anyways. I didn't really like hanging around that side. Everyone watched their backs all the time whenever I passed by, and gave me side eyes. It was uncomfortable.  Today was the day that we were supposed to be assigned our humans. Being a person's guide in a way. I knew that it would be a strange experience, I was barely sure how to guide myself, and what type of person I wanted to be, but to be forced to have that type of influence over someone else? Sure, I'm near the top of the class now, but what happens later on?

"How are you?" I asked Astra. "Nervous about the assignments?"

"No way, I know that I can ace this one. How about you?" She lowered her voice a little.

"I-I'll be fine." I replied.

"Are you sure? I know how you can be when-"

"Don't worry about me," I flashed her a quick smile. "I'll be alright."

Finally, she lets it be, but only because an announcement starts over the P.A, telling people that it's time for an assembly in the gym where we'll be receiving our assignments, and where the people near the top of the class will be sent off to earth to an alternate elite school. It's probably just so that they can be closer to the human that they're assigned to. I already know that I've been grinding to do better than usual in most of my classes, but suddenly, I really wish I hadn't.

My stomach lurches at the thought. I'd have to go to earth. I would have to force someone else to be just as evil as I feel right now, knowing all of the things that I've done. Only now the pressure will be so much higher. Only now, the sins will have to keep piling up. I want to puke at the thought of it, but I try to keep it down as well as I can and make my way over to the gym.

They've separated the angels to one side, and the devils to the other. Astra waves at me from the other side of the gym. I give a small wave back, secretly hoping that none of the angels have noticed, knowing that they'd probably find a way to make some backhanded comment, disguised just enough so that it doesn't count as a sin. Most angels seem to be pretty good at that, at least around here. I've learned that they're not all always what they seem. Most of them know how to lie through their teeth.

The principal walks up to a mic. "Today, I would like everyone to congratulate the top students on this marvelous opportunity. Let them be the examples that we all wish to follow."

The audience gives a round of applause as the principal begins to call open a portal, and then proceeds to read out the names of those chosen to go down to the other campus, back on earth. "Of the angels, we have Ezkiel Smith, Jacob Steiner, Astra Mckay," I look up to see my best friend walk up to get her award. I try shouting louder than everyone else, maybe just because I know it embarasses her, but still. "Marcus Rubeman, Alice Azer, Yelena Ourana, and Enoch Truman."

He waits for the applause to stop, and the angels to finish going through the portal before moving onto the list of devils. He cleared his throat before continuing down the list.

"Levi McConner, Marissa Valen, Riley Sinclair, Kelsey Edrizen, Adam Convenne, Bradley Baker, and Nico Violo." For a split second, I had begun to relax. After all, he was almost at the end of the list. For a split second, I had thought that my name wasn't going to be called on. Evidently, I was wrong.

My knees clanged up against each other as I wearily made my way across the crowd and towards the front of the gym. I was terrified. There was nothing good that could come of this. My heart was pounding too loudly in my chest for me to be able to focus on what was going on around me. I could feel myself begin to panic. Breath in. Breath out. I wanted so badly to be able to stay calm and I made my way through the crowd but with each shakey step it felt like the world was ending.

Finally I was up on the stage, sweating and shaking like a complete fucking mess but desperately hoping that nobody would notice. I shook the principal's hand, smiling at him, before turning to face the portal.

I knew now that everything I had known before was going to come to an end. I knew now that things were going to change. I couldn't go on pretending and holding in the guilt that was slowly consuming me.

Now I had to finally figure it out for myself.

Am I good or evil?