two

There were soaring towers and giant almost heavenly looking gates. Gargoyles stared me down as I started slowly walking towards what would now be my new school. I couldn't believe what I was seeing in front of me. It looked like something out of a fairytale book. There were jewels, pearls and diamonds coating the sides of the walls, giving everything on the angel's side of the school an almost ethereal look, while the devil's side looked like charcoal colour, black and night. Spikes, chains, and what looked like torture devices protruded from the walls of the devil's half of the school. It looked cool, in a way. I suppose that the chance to live in a place as wild as this almost made this new experience something I was looking forward too.

Astra ran up to me as fast as she could and hugged me. I was just grateful that I wouldn't have to be doing any of this alone. That I wouldn't have to be going through any of this alone. It was hard enough as is, and the added stress of having no one familiar around me would have probably been too much to bare.

"Want to go up and explore the dorms with me?" She asked kindly. Astra was always the polite type. Always asked first, never forced you to do anything. I liked that about her.

"Sure." I said. "Soon enough I'll probably be moving into your dorm room anyway, I mean, how else will we continue the tradition of midnight gossiping?"

"Hell yes! Now let's go put our bags away and run around this place."

Soon enough we were wandering through the strange halls. From what I understood, this whole school was made just for this program, and that they only took in a few students every couple of years. We were supposed to be mostly left to our own devices, apart from a few classes here and there. Which meant that there wasn't much for us to do or focus on except our assignments and tormenting (or saving) humans.

I wasn't looking forward to it, to say the least, but it's not as though I can say anything about it. Meaning that I'll probably either end up flunking out, or pushing through and end up being scarred for life from it. To be honest, I didn't really understand how most other devils did it. I didn't get how they behaved the way they did, committed the types of acts that they'd did, yet still carried on with their lives as though they didn't have a care in the world.

I tried so hard to be like that once. I thought if I could commit one horrible act, then maybe I'd be set for the year. And I was right, except that the memories of that night couldn't stop flooding back. And it did more than just make me set for the year, it brought me to the top of the class. It seemed as though everywhere I went there were reminders of it.

"Are you actually alright? There's nobody around, can you talk to me about it now?" Astra asked, I could sense how anxious she was about how I was acting. She knows what really happened.

I sighed. "Not really. I just want to go back to feeling normal. I just want to go back to being normal, but it feels as though I can never go back to that now."

"I'm so sorry you have to go through all that. I can't even imagine. It must be really overwhelming."

"Oh fuck yeah it is. It's the absolute worst. Every moment it feels as though the whole world is ending."

"Shit."

"Yeah."

"Is there anything I can do to help?" It was typical of Astra, she was almost always wanting to help, wanting to make things better, wanting to be more selfless and constantly thinking about others first. She was an angel. Literally.

"Just being here is enough for me, thank you."

"Of course, you're my best friend, anything you need."

"You're the best, I don't know if I tell you that often enough."

"Bitch, you tell me that all the fucking time, and yet everytime I try to compliment you on how amazing you are, you always deny it. What's up with that?" She said half jokingly. "Learn to take a compliment or something."

I laughed a bit. I never could accept compliments, but Astra always told me how amazing I was, even if it wasn't true. I'm not sure why she thinks so highly of me, but I do know that pretty soon I'll somehow find a way to mess that up too.

"I can accept compliments." I stated. "At least, when they're true."

"Rude. Calling an angel a liar should be considered a sin. So fuck off, you're drop dead amazing, and you're incredibly attractive, and you're smart. You need to know it."

"You're pretty smart too, and swaggy as fuck."

"Thanks. See? That's how you reply to a compliment. Just say thanks and shut up about it." She sighed and grabbed my arm, leading me further down another hall. "Anyways, let's go find somewhere to hide out during orientation."

We continued cracking jokes, talking a bit too loudly and going about our normal friend group antics. It was nice to just hang out with her again, now that so much of our homework and all that was out of the way.

That's when we spotted Levi, giving us a shit eating grin from the other end of the hall, I didn't know what he was planning, but it certainly wasn't anything good, judging by the looks of it.