CHAPTER 18: JOURNEY TO THE OUTLAND

"They walk through the ruins of dark secrets, yet they fear not for they urge their minds to explore more"

⊰i⊱⊰i⊱⊰i⊱Scilis The Dryad⊰i⊱⊰i⊱⊰i⊱

⊰i⊱⊰i⊱⊰i⊱⊰i⊱⊰i⊱⊰i⊱⊰i⊱⊰i⊱⊰i⊱⊰i⊱⊰i⊱⊰i⊱⊰i⊱

Striding over the threshold that led to the outer pavement of the academy, amber sky dabbled with slight crimson announced the coming of dusk and as Thorgrine reached past the guards with visors, they grunted slightly as if they had known who he was; a criminal. He didn't acknowledge them for his own thought had already dominated his awareness of his surroundings.

But when he walked further, a loud chittering of beetles in the rose garden by the side of the path made out of antique brass bricks reverted his mind back to his body. And a derisive expression instantly filled his striking appearance when he sighted the bollocks he would now work for. He hated them all, despised how they treated everything as if the world was innocent and was at the verge of destruction. Matilda was the first to see him coming and he rolled his eyes when she gawked at his appearance. He'd been forced to change his outfits by the General, his formal attire he cherished most though tainted with dirt and grime had been replaced with a clean bleak formal dress. Dark boots and a backpack had been given to him. His disheveled short-stark white hair with a hint of black had been smoothened, hence, rekindling his beauty.

General, the warlord and the two princes were in a circle beside a stable filled with grey horses. They were in the South entrance of the academy and to the South Gate, differed from the West Gate which harbored a large multitude of merchants from the Empire as well as the refugees from Calhaja Stronghold. He'd asked all from his prison mates five years ago in case something altered his plans and he would be forced to find his way out of the city. Now, everything had changed but he still had some cards up his sleeves, he wouldn't give up easily. That was never in his traits.

Siena trailed Matilda's eyes and saw him coming towards them, she blushed too while Parida stared, emotionless.

Lucas scoffed when their eyes met and Ralph shuddered at his intimidating pose. The only person that was separated from their circle was Miss Temper, her strange form was surreal, as if not made from woman but from goddess. She was tending to the white horse she had been given, her back facing the group while her apprentice chattered aimlessly beside her because it seemed like her mistress wasn't listening or didn't want to. He wondered why she'd chosen him to be her partner when they didn't know each other and hadn't met before. One thing he knew was that, she had a reason, surreptitious one, perhaps a dangerous one.

"Thorgrine!" Matilda called out in a loud soothing voice and heads turned his way, the General and the princes looked his way too. Clearly, they had been waiting for him.

Bia frowned when she saw him and curtly murmured to her mistress who didn't bother to look his path but she chose to focus on her white mount as if they would snatch it away from her as soon as she looked away.

"What took you so long?" Lucas challenged him, again, with his icy blue eyes.

"Washing your dirty prints from my door" the insult made Lucas mutter derisively at his form

Despite the fact that Lucas went one hour earlier to call him, he still took his time to arrange his stuff, another one hour.

And when he neared them, Matilda, hoping he would stay and chat with them before he departed. He went to the stable, to a free and silence dark horse that stayed beside his new silence partner's.

"Mine?" he called out to the General who as soon as he heard him, nodded instantly.

He stroked the horse by the neck and it nudged its head at his chest before it snorted. Bia was watching his every movement. His gaze flitted to Trinity's snow hair then to her white horse before he shook his head and said.