Chapter 1

*Beep* *Beep* *Beep*

"Ugh, 6 am already? God will you shut up already!" I say as I slam my hand down onto my phone to shut my phone alarm off. Mondays. Are. The. Worst. I decide to go ahead and get dressed and ready before I head downstairs for breakfast. As I walk into the hall I hear a faint sound.. like someone's crying. I follow the sound to my little sister, Olivia's, room.

"Liv is everything alright?" I say.

She doesn't look at me. I sit down at the edge of her bed and start rubbing her back.

"Liv, what happened?" I say as she looks up to me puffy-eyed and points to the picture of our father. Our dad died due to cancer three years ago. I was only fourteen at the time, and Liv was only five. Our mom has since remarried to a man named Anthony, who brought his thirteen-year-old daughter Aliyah with him. I actually don't mind either of them, which is good considering my mom's expecting her fourth child.

As I calm Olivia down, Alec walks in.

"Woah now what's going on here?" he says confused.

I look at him and he seems to understand what I'm getting at. We've always been good at telling each other what's happening by just using our eyes.

"It's alright, Liv. We miss him too. How about we go sneak some ice cream for breakfast? That always makes me feel better when I'm feeling down," Alec says. Liv's face immediately lights up as she hops on his back to be carried downstairs. I laugh and follow them down shortly after.

Alec and Olivia sneak past our mom and Anthony making breakfast and grab the big container of ice cream and two spoons. They quickly retreat back up to Alec's room. My mom turns around and smiles at me.

"Those two. Do they really think they're that sneaky?" she says as she hands me a plate of eggs.

I laugh and say "Well Liv didn't start her day off right this morning, so we figured ice cream for breakfast would fix that right up.

She smiles. I love seeing my mom smile. After my dad's death, we didn't see her smile for months. It was hard getting through it all, but we pulled together and have been stronger ever since.

My mom and I talk in the kitchen for a while before Anthony and Aaliyah come downstairs.

"Well good morning there sleepy head. How'd you sleep?" my mom says to Aaliyah.

"Not very well. I didn't go to sleep until around three because I had a bunch of homework left to do," she responds yawning.

"Aaliyah I said I would help you! You could've come to me before you went to bed last night." I respond.

"Well excuse you ma'am it's not my fault you go to bed so early. You're not an old lady!" she responds laughing.

I laugh with her. "Hey, a girl needs her beauty sleep. Unlike you who stays up 'till three." I say before my mom interrupts our bickering.

"Alright alright, you two simmer down. Here Aaliyah take your eggs and toast upstairs to eat while you get dressed and ready, we're running late. Here's your coffee hun," my mom says to Anthony. When she walks over he stops for a minute to rest his hands on her stomach. I'm actually so happy she found someone who truly loves her for her.

"Alright, chop-chop! Hey, Aria will you go see what your brother is doing? I hope Olivia and him didn't eat all that mint chocolate chip ice cream because it's my favorite! And she needs to get ready!" says my mom. Yes, mom, we know it's your favorite, you remind us every time we try to get even just a spoonful of it.

I run upstairs to grab Alec and Olivia. As soon as I'm at the top of the stairs I hear my phone going off. It's my best friend Freya.

"Hey girl! Have you heard the news?!" she says, almost too excited considering it's a Monday.

"What news?" I say laughing.

"GIRL, how have you not?!" she responds.

"Well don't just leave me hanging spill the tea girl!" I say.

"Okay, so you know how our previous history teacher left because he kept getting complaints about his 'disorderly conduct' with students?" she says.

"Oh my god, how could I forget! You were one of those complaints. Your parents gave the school board hell for letting him stay active as long as he was. He wasn't even suspended!" I say angrily.

"Alright alright don't get your panties in a twist it wasn't a huge deal. I am still really pissed they didn't do diddly fuck about it until after my parents gave them a piece of their minds though. But anyways that's not the point. Apparently, some new teacher has already filled his spot!" she says literally running out of breath.

"Oh damn! That didn't take long. Hey, give me a minute, will you? I gotta see if Alec and Liv are ready. They were eating ice cream last time I checked," I say getting my bag ready for school.

"Sure no prob! But that definitely sounds like something he would do. Say hi for me!" sounding more eager than usual. I wonder what's up with that?

"I sure will!" I say placing my phone down and running out to see what they were doing, and of course, they were still eating ice cream.

"Aye Alec, Liv's gotta get dressed it's nearly time to leave," I say laughing while Olivia flicks Alec with her spoon. I'm glad she's finally happy now.

"Oh shit! What time is it?"

"Nearly 7:45, why?"

"Oh fuck I'm gonna be late for work!" Alec says in a rush. "Here Liv go get dressed and brush your teeth. I'll help you with your hair in a minute."

"Okay!' Olivia says as she runs out of the room, and Alec takes no time getting dressed, pretty sure he was forgetting that I was still in the room.

"Yo dude I'm still right here!" I say turning around. "You coulda at least warned me for Christ's sake! And please watch your language around her. You know mom doesn't like it when you cuss."

"Pfft, you're my sister it ain't like you haven't seen anything before," He says sniffing a shirt to make sure it's clean. "Besides I was in my boxers still so it's fine. And yeah yeah I know she doesn't like it when I cuss. I forget sometimes."

"Alright well before you rush off to work Freya said to tell you she said hi," I say turning around.

"Oh," he pauses, "she did?" he says blushing a little bit, but not enough for me to really suspect anything.

"Ooookay. Anyways yeah I gotta get back to her she's still on the phone. Have a good day!" I say running down the hall.

Once I reach my room I jump onto my bed and grab my phone.

"Aye you still here?" I say.

"Yup as usual, always waiting on you," she says laughing.

"Yeah haha, you're so funny. So continue on about the teacher."

"Ohh right we were talking about the teacher. Well, apparently he's some really hot muscular guy. He's apparently also really rich so that's why he was hired so fast. He made some huge donation to the school that'll really help to improve some of the things that have needed to be updated for a loooong time," she says.

"Well shit, I guess that really would help to get you hired faster. Donate to some school that's in need of money. Makes sense." I say.

"Ah hell, I gotta go, forgot my sister has something to do this morning so I'm leaving earlier. I'll see you and Jade at school here later. Bye love you!" she says as she hangs up.

"Well love you too jeez woman," I say to myself.

I lay in my bed a little while longer before my mom calls us all downstairs as she's ready to leave. Alec's already left for work and Liv's hair was pulled up in some messy ponytail that we all know can only be the work of Alec. As we all pile into the car and get comfortable, I doze off until we reach my high school.