Already Taken - Knox Overstreet

"Y/N! Oh my gosh, Y/N guess what?"

"What?" you squealed as Chris choked you into a hug.

"He asked me to be his girlfriend!"

The news hit you like a train going at 200 miles per hour. Suddenly the world slowed down around you - your friend's delighted laughter echoed in the air, her hair flying next to your face was moving in slow motion and it felt like time itself had stopped. After a second you blacked out for a moment, taking in the shock.

"Hey Y/N!" Chris snapped her fingers in front of your eyes, bringing you back to Earth.

"That's so amazing Chris, I'm so happy for you," you blurted out, and somehow managed to put up a bright smile on your face.

"I know right? You have no idea of how happy I am! I thought Chet was the one for me, but Knox is literally perfect! We understand each other so well, and he's so sweet! I love him so much! We're going to go out..."

Her voice faded in the distance as you followed her to your next class. A tear threatened to spill from your eye, but you blinked quick enough to keep it back.

You'd had a crush on Knox Overstreet ever since you'd seen him for the first time, riding his bike in town. He'd stopped in front of the cheerleader parade in the street - which you were also watching - and the moment he took off his sunglasses you were blown away by him. He was the most handsome guy you'd ever seen, and you could tell by a simple glance that he was beautiful inside and out.

But then the dream ended when you realized he was staring amorously at one of the cheerleaders - your best friend, Christina Noel.

And it soon became obvious he had fallen heads over heels for her - him kissing her at Chet's party, reading a poem to her out loud in front of her classmates, taking her out to see a play for their first date.... Well, after that they didn't see each other for a couple of days, because apparently one of his friends had tried to kill himself. Thankfully he survived and was sent to the hospital, but it broke your heart every time you saw Knox with a worried, painful expression on his face.

You wanted to go up to him, tell him you were there for him - but you couldn't. You were too scared - you'd never even spoken to him before! And anyways, Chris was making sure he was okay. She'd hold his hand, stroke the back of his head and whisper things in his ear that seemed to cheer him up.

That's when you realized you would never be good enough for him. She knew how to make him smile, she was beautiful and kind-hearted, while you were too shy to even dare approach him.

You barely listened to your English teacher during the next class. Your heart was throbbing inside your chest, and you covered your ears, trying to deny what had just happened. There had to be some kind of mistake, right? Your eyes flickered towards the window, through which, in the distance, you could see the top of the Welton Academy building sticking out from behind the treetops.

And then you imagined Knox - runnning down the hill, storming into the classroom, grabbing your hands and declaring his love for you, just like he'd done it for Chris. 

But no, that would never happen.

That afternoon, as you exited the school after your last class, you managed to push away Knox from your thoughts. It was still early - only five o'clock - and you needed to be inside your dorm at Ridgeway High by eleven, so you still had loads of time. Chris had gone to spend the evening at her parents' house, in a nearby village, and all of your other friends had scattered all over town, so you decided to go sit at a cafe to study.