Chapter 4: Fuss and Feathers

A few months had gone by. It was now springtime and Meg and I were in Boston in dresses for Annie Moffat's debutante ball. The girls had given Meg and me nicknames. They called Meg "Daisy" and called me "Poppy". Sallie Gardiner was going on about Meg and me.

"Oh, Daisy, I do like that color on you. It's just like forget-me-nots. And Poppy, I simply adore that color on you. It's just like pink peonies," Sallie said while referring to the blue dress Meg was wearing and the pink dress I was wearing. "The nicest I've seen that kind of fabric since the war broke out. But you had it made up so plain, Meg."
"Well, I do my own sewing, and-," she said before being cut off by Sallie. 
"Mrs. Finster's on Charles Street
carries silk pieces ready-made. Tomorrow I'll take you there," Sallie said.

"The March's haven't bought silk in years. They have views on slavery," a girl said.

"Meg, isn't it true that your father's school had to close...when he admitted a little dark girl," Sallie asked.

"The silk of Mrs. Finster's isn't milled in the South. It's made right here, over in Linfield," another girl said.
"This isn't China silk," Sallie asked.

"They use little children for labor. All the silk mills do," I said.

"The poor are always with us. You are so good to remind us. May I tell you something? This is an afternoon dress," Sallie said.

"Meg may borrow the violet ballgown I brought if she wishes to," I suggested.

"Perfect! I'm going to make you both my pets," Sallie said as she hugged Meg from behind.

Then, two maids walked in. Each one held a bouquet of roses. Some of the girls began talking amongst themselves.

"They are for Ms. March and Ms. Rogers," a maid said as she and the other maid handed Meg and me the bouquets. "And here are your notes."

"What fun," Annie said.

"Who are they from," a girl asked.

"Didn't know the two of you had lovers," Sallie said.

"The notes are from my mother and the flowers are from Laurie," Meg said.
"Oh, indeed," Annie said.

"Don't you live with the Laurence's, Poppy," Sallie asked.
"Oh, yes," I answered.
"What do you think of young Theodore Laurence," Sallie asked.
"I think he's a rather nice young man. Quite the gentleman when he decides to be. He's certainly not my lover, just a very close friend," I replied.
"I see," Sallie said.

That evening was the ball. I felt like a whole new person with my hair styled differently than it typically is, my face made up, and wearing a pink gown that I hardly ever wear except at events like this. I was drinking champagne and talking with a couple of men.

"I would dance with you, Mr. Parker, but I fear for my new slippers," I said.
"My credo is, 'Don't tread on me'," one of the men said as the three of us laughed.

Then, Teddy walked up to us.

"Miss Rogers, I thought your family
raised temperance people," Teddy said as he took my champagne and as the two men walked away.
"Teddy! I'm glad you came, for I was afraid you wouldn't," I said in a more grown up tone as I covered up where my chest was exposed.
"Oh, no. No, no, don't cover up. There may be one or two gentlemen here who haven't seen all of your charms. Jo wanted me to come and tell her how you and Meg looked, so I did," he said.
"What shall you tell her," I asked.
"I shall say I didn't know you. For you look so grown up and unlike yourself, I'm quite afraid of you," Teddy answered.
"How absurd of you! The girls dressed me up for fun, and I rather like it," I said.
"Yes, well, it reveals a whole new Emmy," Teddy said.
"Wouldn't Jo stare if she saw me," I asked curiously.
"Yes, I think she would," Teddy replied.
"Don't you like me so," I asked.
"No, I don't," Teddy answered bluntly.
"Why not," I asked in an anxious tone.
"I don't like fuss and feathers," Teddy said rudely.
"You are the rudest boy I ever saw," I said before walking away angrily.

I stood by a window to calm down for a bit before going into a small study to sit down and be alone with my thoughts. A few minutes later, Teddy walked in and sat down next to me.

"Emmy. I'm sorry. Please forgive my rudeness and come dance with me," Teddy said.
"I'm afraid it will be too disagreeable to you," I said.
"Not a bit of it. I'm dying to do it. Come, I'll be good. I don't like your gown, but I do think you are just splendid," Teddy said.
"Teddy, I want you to do me a favor, will you," I asked.
"Won't I," he replied.
"Please don't tell Jo, Beth, Amy, Mrs. March, or your grandfather about my dress tonight and how I've behaved. They won't understand the joke, and it will worry Mrs. March and your grandfather," I said.
"Then, why did you do it," Teddy asked.
"I was only playing a part...to see how it felt to be Sallie Gardiner with four proposals and twenty pairs of gloves," I answered truthfully.
"You're worth ten of those other girls," Teddy said.
"I'd rather tell them how I've behaved myself, so you'll not tell, will you, Teddy," I asked.
"I give you my word I won't. Only what shall I say when they ask me," he asked.
"Just say I looked nice and was having a good time," I replied.
"I'll say the first with all my heart. But how about the other? You don't look as if you were having a good time. Are you," Teddy asked.
"No, not just now. Don't think I'm horrid. I only wanted a little fun but this sort don't pay, I find, and I'm getting tired of it," I answered.

"Did you see the way this Rogers girl
has gone after the Laurence heir," a man asked.
"Best thing that could happen
to her," a woman replied, which caused Teddy and me to laugh.

"Shall we dance," Teddy asked.
"I don't see why not," I replied as Teddy and I headed to the ballroom and began dancing.

As Teddy and I danced, I began to trip over my gown.

"This ridiculous dress! I've been tripping over it all night," I said.
"Pin it around your neck and then it will be useful," Teddy said before we continued dancing.

The rest of the evening was enchanting. Teddy and I danced the night away without a care in the world.