Chapter 10: Reuniting in Europe

A few years had gone by since Teddy had first preposed to me. I was riding in a carriage with Aunt Winifred in Paris, France. Paris certainly was the place to see and be seen.

"These decadents have ruined Paris, if you ask me. These French women couldn't lift a hairbrush," Aunt Winifred said.

I didn't pay attention to what she said since I was looking at people walk along the promenade.

"Emmeline! I said, 'These French women couldn't lift a hairbrush," Aunt Winifred said.
"Oh, yes! Very true, Aunt Winnie," I said.
"Don't humor me. What do they write, your troublemaking friends," she asked.
"Mrs. March doesn't say anything about Beth. I feel I should go back, but they all say 'stay'," I answered.
"You can do nothing if you go back. The girl is sick, not lonely. And you shouldn't go home until you and Henry Downton are properly engaged," Aunt Winifred said as I glared at her.
"Yes, and after I finish all of my singing lessons, of course," I said.
"What? Oh, yes, yes. Of course," Aunt Winifred said.

I looked at all the people walking by. Then, I saw him: Teddy. He had gotten quite handsome. He was looking down at the ground as he walked.

"Stop the carriage! Teddy! Teddy," I exclaimed as I jumped out of the carriage and ran to him.
"Emmy! You're a proper young woman now. I see you still have that locket I gave you that Christmas a few years ago," he said after we hugged.
"I could never part with it. You wrote you'd come to the hotel," I said.
"I looked for you and couldn't find you anywhere," Teddy said.
"You didn't look hard enough," I said.
"Maybe I just didn't recognize you. You've become so beautiful," Teddy said, which caused my cheeks to turn pink.
"Please don't," I said.
"I thought you liked that sort of thing," Teddy said.
"No. Where's your grandfather," I asked.
"Still in Germany. I'm on my own. Traveling and having fun," Teddy replied.
"And drinking and gambling and flirting," I teased.
"Don't tell your aunt," Teddy said.
"Are you chasing some young girl across Europe, Teddy," I asked.
"No," he answered.
"I'm...I couldn't...It was hard for me to believe Jo turned you down before I did. I'm so sorry," I said.
"Don't be, Emmy. I'm not," Teddy said.

"Emmeline! Emmeline Rogers! You come back here right this instant," Aunt Winifred shouted.

"Oh, Aunt Winnie," I said.

Teddy and I walked back to the carriage. Then, Teddy climbed in and kissed aunt Winifred's cheek.

"Aren't we fine, ma'am," Teddy said.

"Get him off of me," Aunt Winifred exclaimed before Teddy kissed her cheek again and smiled. "Il faut go!"

Teddy quickly got out of the carriage and helped me in. Then, the carriage began to drive away.

"Come to the New Year's party! It's a ball and everyone will be there, including Amy and Fred! Oh, and Henry! Pick me up at the hotel at eight- the Chavain! Dress for festivities! Top hats and silks," I shouted to Teddy.
"I will! I'll wear my best silk," Teddy shouted back.

I looked at Teddy as he walked away. Then, I turned to look at Aunt Winifred.

"It's Teddy," I said with a smile.
"I know," Aunt Winifred said in an annoyed tone.

The next night was the New Year's Eve party. I was wearing a black gown with gold accents. I had waited for an hour for Teddy to pick me up, but he never showed up. I ended up heading to the party by myself. After I had danced with Henry, I noticed Teddy walk in with one woman on each arm. I could tell he was drunk. He and the women fell onto a nearby sofa.

"Teddy," I said.
"Emmy," he said.
"I waited an hour for you," I said while the two girls got up and walked away.
"I feel caught," Teddy said as I began to walk away from him. "Emmy, please!"
"Do you want to know what I honestly think of you," I asked.
"What do you honestly think of me," Teddy asked.
"Well, I despise you," I answered bluntly.
"Why, if you please," Teddy asked.
"Because with every chance for being good, useful, and happy, you are faulty, lazy, and miserable," I replied.
"Oh, this is interesting," Teddy said.
"Selfish people do like to talk about themselves," I said.
"Am I selfish," Teddy asked.
"Yes, very selfish. With your money, talent, beauty, and health," I answered.
"Beauty," Teddy asked.
"Ah! You like that, you old vanity! With all these good things to enjoy, you can find nothing to do but dawdle," I replied as Teddy put his hand that had a ring that Jo gave him on mine.
"I'll be good for you, Saint Emmy! I'll be good," Teddy said in a mocking way.
"Aren't you ashamed of a hand like that," I asked as I pulled my hand away from his.
"No, I'm not," Teddy answered.
"It looks like it's never done a day of work in its life. And that ring is ridiculous," I said.
"Jo gave me this ring," Teddy said.
"I feel sorry for you, Teddy. I really do. I just wish you would bear it better," I said.
"You don't have to feel sorry me, Emmy. You'll feel the same way one day," he said.
"No, I'd be respected if I couldn't be loved," I said.
"And what have you done lately, oh great 'songstress'? Or have you been too busy imagining how you would spend Henry Downton's fortune," Teddy said. "Henry Downton, ladies and gentlemen!"

Teddy then left in anger. Everyone was looking at Henry and me.

"Harry, I'm...I'm so sorry," I said.

I couldn't believe Teddy had the gall to embarrass me like that. I'm so upset with him. I suppose I must try to enjoy the rest of the night the best I can.