Chapter 9: Proposals and Europe

A month had gone by since Meg's wedding. I went over to the March's to visit and find Teddy since I figured he would be there after he had gotten back from graduating college. I wanted to visit with the March's to let them know that I would be accompanying Aunt Winifred and Henry to Europe since we were going to be leaving in a few days. Mrs. March had told me that Teddy and Jo were walking. I decided to go after them, but follow from a distance. When they stopped in front of a small bridge, I decided to hide behind a tree.

"Hail the conquering graduate. Is grandfather exceedingly proud," I heard Jo ask.
"Yes. And exceedingly bent on locking me up in one of his offices. Why is it Amy may paint China and you can scribble away...while I must manfully set my music aside," Teddy asked.
"Why must you," Jo asked.
"If I don't, I'd have to defy grandfather," Teddy answered.
"Yes, and not the whole of society," Jo said.
"I can't go against the old man. When I imagine myself in that life...I can think of only one thing...that would make me happy," Teddy said.

I could tell what Teddy was trying to do. He was proposing to Jo. I felt a tear fall down my cheek.

"Oh, no. Teddy...Teddy, don't. No, wait, Teddy. We have to talk about this reasonably," Jo said before he kissed her.

Teddy kissed Jo! I couldn't believe it.

"I have loved you...since the moment I clamped eyes on you. What could be more reasonable than to marry you," he asked.
"We'd kill each other," Jo replied.
"Nonsense," Teddy said.
"Neither of us can keep our temper," Jo said.
"I can. Unless provoked," Teddy said.
"We're both stupidly stubborn,
especially you. We'd only quarrel," Jo argued.
"I wouldn't," Teddy said.
"You can't even propose without quarreling," Jo said.
"Jo...dear Jo. I swear I'll be a saint. I'll let you win every argument. I'll take care of you and your family. I'll give you every luxury you've ever been denied. You won't have to write. Unless you want to. Grandfather...wants me to learn the business in England. Can't you see us
bashing around London," Teddy asked.
"London. Oh, Teddy, I'm not fashionable enough for London. You need someone who's elegant and refined. Someone like Emmy," she told him.
"I want you," Teddy said.
"Teddy, please don't ask me. Teddy, I'm desperately sorry," Jo said.
"No, don't," Teddy said.
"I do care for you," Jo said.
"No," Teddy said.
"With all of my heart. You're my dearest friend. I just can't go be a wife," Jo said.
"You say you won't, but you will," Teddy said.
"I won't. I won't," Jo protested.
"One day...you'll meet some man. A good man. And you will love him tremendously. And you will live and die for him," Teddy said.
"Teddy, please," Jo said.
"You will, Jo. I know you. And I'll be hanged...if I stand by and watch," he said before walking away in sorrow.

I decided to go after Teddy. I quickly caught up with him.

"Hello, Teddy. I was looking for you actually," I said while trying to act casual.
"Oh," he said glumly.
"What's wrong? Did something happen," I asked while pretending that I hadn't heard what had just happened between him and Jo.
"I don't want to talk about it. I certainly wouldn't want to bore you," Teddy answered.
"You certainly never bore me. Besides, we tell each other everything. Please tell me, Teddy," I said.
"Alright. I admitted my feelings to Jo, and I proposed to her. She rejected the proposal. Why would she do that? She said that we're both so stubborn that we'd kill each other," he said as we stopped for a moment.
"Maybe the two of you just aren't meant to be," I said.
"Marry me," Teddy said.
"What," I asked.
"Marry me," Teddy replied.
"No, I can't. Teddy, you aren't thinking reasonably. You're still very hurt from getting rejected by Jo. It would be wrong to say yes, even if I wanted to marry you. Besides, I'm going to Europe with Aunt Winnie and Henry Downton is accompanying us. Aunt Winnie wants me to practice my singing, work on my French, and possibly take up art," I said.
"You love him, don't you," he asked.
"I suppose I love Harry," I answered.
"I wish you all the happiness with him that we had growing up," Teddy said before walking away from me bitterly.
"Teddy, wait," I said.

Teddy didn't pay attention to me. He just kept walking until he got home. Then, Jo walked up to me.

"Hello, Emmy," Jo said.
"I just refused Teddy," I said.
"You refused Teddy's proposal? So did I," Jo said.
"He told me that before he proposed to me. Do you think our Teddy will be alright, Jo," I asked.
"I suppose he'll be over his heartbreak in a day or two," she replied.

Soon, Jo and I were inside the March's home talking with Meg, Beth, and Amy.

"Jo, are you ill," Amy asked.
"She has refused Teddy," I answered.

"Well, I'm sure she can take it back. It's just a misunderstanding," Meg said.
"No. No," Jo said.

"I refused Teddy as well. He proposed to me after Jo refused him. I told him no because he wasn't thinking reasonably, even if I did love him. Besides, he and I could never marry since I'm accompanying my aunt, Winifred, to Europe, with Henry Downton. Aunt Winnie hopes for Henry and I to marry someday," I said.
"Oh, Emmy. I'm sorry," Meg said.

"Oh, listen to him," Amy said while referring to Teddy.

"I must get away," Jo said.
"Of course," Meg said.

"Aunt March is going to France," Amy said.
"France! That's ideal! I'll put up with anything to go," Jo said.
"Jo, Aunt March has asked me to go," Amy said.
"To Europe? My Europe? When," Jo asked.
"It was decided just today. Well, I am her companion now. She wishes me
to study painting abroad...and hopes I might make a good match there. But perhaps she wouldn't mind if you stayed at Plumfield...while we are gone," Amy replied.

Jo walked glumly out of the room to find Mrs. March.

"Laurie will come back around soon, hopefully," Meg said.
"I hope so," I said.

I couldn't believe Teddy had proposed to me and that I had rejected him. It was for our own good. He was not thinking clearly. I just hope that I'll have the chance to apologize for refusing his proposal someday.