Chapter 7: A Special Christmas

It was now December. A couple of days before Christmas to be exact. Teddy, some of his college friends, and I were helping Meg, Jo, Amy, Mrs. March, and Hannah decorate the March's house for Christmas, so the house would look pretty for Beth.

"Try each corner. Thank you. No, no! One bow is enough," Jo said.

"Mr. Laurence. Thank you," Meg said.

"Oh, I'm so sorry," one of Teddy's college friends said after bumping into me.
"It happens all the time," I said.

"How's this," Amy asked.

"Here she comes," Meg said.

"Come on. Come on," Jo said as we all got in front of a curtain.

"What should I do with these bows," Amy asked.

"Now, don't scare her to death. She's been sick, you know," Hannah said as she and Mrs. March helped Beth walk down the stairs.

"Hide the chairs. Just hide them, Amy," Jo instructed.

"Quick," I said.

"The house is beautiful," Beth said.

"They're friends of mine from college. Freddy Vaughan and Averill Watson. They won't bite," Teddy said as Beth was about to sit down in a chair.

"No, don't sit there! Sit-," Amy began before Teddy put his hand over her mouth and pulled her close.

"Here. Sit here, child," Mr. Laurence said as he pulled a rope to reveal a piano. "Merry Christmas!"

"Merry Christmas, Beth," Jo said as she hugged her sister.

"I should've given it to you long ago. It belonged to my little girl, who had to leave us when she was very young. But now it will make music again," Mr. Laurence said.
"Thank you, Mr. Laurence," Beth said.

After Beth played a few Christmas carols, I was helping Meg, Jo, and Mrs. March prepare desserts.

"I fear you would have a long engagement. Three or four years. John must secure a house before you can marry. And he must do his service to the union," Mrs. March said to Meg.

"John? Marry," I asked.

"You mean that pokey old Mr. Brooke? How did he weasel his way
into this family," Jo asked.
"Jo. John has been very kind to go
visit Father in the hospital every day," Meg answered.
"He's dull as powder. Meg, can't you
at least marry someone amusing," she asked.
"I'm fond of Mr. Brooke. He's a good man. He's kind and serious. And I'm not afraid of being poor," the elder sister replied.

"Marmee, you can't just
let her go and marry him," Jo said.

"I'd hardly just go and marry anyone," Meg said.

"I would rather Meg marry for love
and be a poor man's wife than marry for riches and lose her self-respect," Mrs. March said.
"So you don't mind that John is poor," Meg asked.
"No, but I would rather he have a house," Mrs. March answered.

"Why must we marry at all? Why can't things just stay as they are," Jo asked.
"It is only a proposal, Jo. Nothing need be decided. Now, let's not spoil the day," I replied.

As Mrs. March, Meg, Jo, and I walked out of the kitchen, we saw Mr. Brooke walking in with a man, who I assumed was Mr. March.

"Father? Father," Jo exclaimed with a smile.

"Merry Christmas, everyone," Mr. March said.
"What a wonderful Christmas present," Mrs. March said as she hugged her husband.

"Father! Oh, Father, you're home," Amy said while Mr. March sat down in a chair.

"Meg," Mr. March began.

"Oh, you're more handsome than ever," Beth said.
"Beth, my little cricket. Thank God you're well," Mr. March said.

"Give the man room to breathe," Hannah said.

"Jo! Oh, my wild girl! Well, this could become the fashion," Mr. March said as he ran his fingers through Jo's short, curly hair.

"Watch his arm," Mrs. March said.

"I'm not used to this," Mr. March said.

"Be careful. Be very careful now," Hannah said.

"Don't coddle this soldier too much," Mr. March said.
"Oh, now, Father, it's time to coddle," Jo said.

"Oh, Father," Meg said.

"Hannah, God bless you. It's good to see you," Mr. March said.
"It's good to have you home, Mr. March," she said.

"Now, let me look at my girls," Mr. March said.

A few hours later, Mr. Laurence, Teddy, and I went back home. I was in my room getting ready for bed when I heard a knock on my bedroom door.

"Come in, Teddy," I said.
"How did you know it was me, Emmy," he asked as he walked in holding a small wrapped box.
"I have my ways," I answered as I brushed out my long curly blonde hair.
"I wanted to give you a Christmas gift early. I hope you enjoy it," Teddy said while he sat down on my bed and handed me the small box.

I opened the box and saw a heart-shaped locket.

"Oh, Teddy, this is lovely. Thank you," I said.
"You're welcome. I don't mind waiting to open my gift until Christmas. I couldn't resist giving you a gift early. I'll let you continue getting ready for bed. Good night, ma chérie," he said before getting up.
"Good night," I said as he left.

Theodore Laurence, if only you knew what you were doing to me.

A/N: And with that, Act 1 of Ma Chérie is finished. Act 2 will be out either later tonight or tomorrow.