Chapter 5: Going to College and Selling Hair

A year had gone by. It was the beginning of autumn and Teddy was going off to college soon. Jo and I were helping him pack.

"No. No, I don't want them now," Teddy said as we were going through his things.
"And keep the music," Jo said.
"I won't be going near a piano for ages," Teddy said.

"You need your books in college. Here's your Dombey and Sons. I could've sworn there was another volume," I said while looking for a book, finding it, and handing it to Teddy.
"Honestly, Emmy. I won't be taking all of Dickens to Harvard with me," Teddy said.
"Oh, no. You'll have much more important things to read," I said.

"Nothing's going to change, girls," Teddy said.
"I wish I could go," Jo said.
"I wish you could too," Teddy said.
"You'll come back knowing all sorts of things I don't know and then I'll hate you," Jo said.

"Well, as it happens, I already know something you both don't know. About Meg and a certain former tutor of mine and Emmy's soon to be employed at the firm of Laurence and Laurence," Teddy said.
"Liar," I said.

"Has Meg mislaid a certain
personal article...such as a glove," Teddy asked as he hid behind a book.

"Emmy, you're coming with me," Jo said as she dragged me out of the room and walked me ho her home.
"Jo, what was that about," I asked.
"Everything is changing so quickly," she answered as she opened the door.
"Change can be good, Jo," I said as we found Meg and Hannah kneading dough.

"Meg, John Brooke stole your glove," Jo said.
"What glove? Not my white one," she asked.
"Brooke's had it forever," Jo replied.

"Teddy says Mr. Brooke keeps it in his pocket, Meg," I said.

"You must tell him to return it. Hannah, don't you think he ought to give it back," Jo asked.
"It isn't what I think that matters," she answered.

Then, Mrs. March walked in holding a letter.

"Jo? Meg? It's a telegram from Washington Hospital. Your father's been wounded," Mrs. March said.

Then, I helped Meg, Beth, and Amy prepare for Mrs. March to go to Washington D.C. after Jo had left to ask her great aunt for money for Mrs. March's train ticket.

"Oh, Beth? Dear, look in on the Hummel's for me, will you," Mrs. March asked.
"I will, Marmee," Beth replied.

"Where's Jo? It's almost six," I asked.
"Still doing battle with Aunt March for Marmee's railway ticket," Meg answered.

"Amy, would you carry a letter
to Mrs. Juba at the Hope House," Mrs. March said.

"John. Mr. Brooke," Meg said.
"I've come to offer myself as an escort to your mother," he said.

"Cook packed this up, and grandfather sends a bottle of spirits for Mr. March," Teddy said as he walked in and handed Mrs. March a basket.
"Oh, that's lovely, Laurie. Thank you," Mrs. March said.

"Marmee. Mr. Brooke is here," Meg said.

"Mrs. March," Mr. Brooke said.
"Mr. Brooke," she said.
"As young Laurence and Ms. Rogers no longer require a tutor...Mr. Laurence has commissions for me in Washington. I should like to be of service to you there. We couldn't let you travel alone," he said.
"Oh, Mr. Brooke, how kind of you," Mrs. March said.
"May I? Are we to go on the 6:00 train," he asked.
"Yes, I sent Jo off, but she hasn't re-," Mrs. March began before being cut off by Jo, who was running inside.

"I'm here," Jo said as she handed her mother money.
"Jo. Finally. Twenty-five. Can Aunt March spare this," Mrs. March asked.
"I couldn't bear to ask her. It's mine, honestly. I didn't beg, borrow, or steal it. I earned it, and I don't think you'll blame me, for I only sold what was my own," Jo replied as she took off her bonnet to reveal her long brunette hair cut short.

"Your hair," I exclaimed.

"Oh, Jo, how could you," Meg asked.

"Your one beauty," Amy said.

"She don't look like my Jo anymore, but I love her dearly for it," Beth said.

"It doesn't affect the fate of the nation, so don't wail, girls," Jo said.

"It'll grow back," Beth said.

"It suits you," Teddy said.

"Tell father that we love him," Meg said.

"Tell him we pray for him," Beth said.

"Bring him home," Jo said.

"I'll never forget his kindness," Hannah said as she hugged Mrs. March.
"Oh, Hannah, thank you," Mrs. March said. "Oh, I shall miss my little women."

Then, Mrs. March and Mr. Brooke had left. Jo hugged Teddy tightly and then hugged me tightly.

"I'm so worried about Father," Jo said.
"He'll be alright, Jo. Have faith," I said.

I was worried about the March sisters. They are such a close family. I hope something like what has happened to their father doesn't tear them apart.