Chapter 12: Sorrows, Realizing True Love, and a Small Wedding

A couple of months had gone by since Teddy had left for London. Aunt Winifred had began battling an illness over the past few months. She is dreadfully ill. I had gotten a letter from Jo that Beth had passed. Amy had gotten a letter from Jo with the same details as well. I was wearing all black and sitting on a bench mourning Beth as a carriage stopped nearby. I noticed Teddy getting out and walking over to me.

"I couldn't let you travel alone with Aunt Winifred being so sick. Even if you despise me," Teddy said.
"Oh, Teddy, I don't despise you," I said as tears fell down my face as I hugged him. "Beth was the best of us."

Teddy stayed quiet for a few moments to let me cry.

"I'm not marrying Henry Downton," I said.
"I heard. Emmy-," Teddy began before I cut him off.
"It was not for you. It was for myself. You are under no obligation to say anything or do anything. It was because I didn't love him as I should. You don't have to say anything. We never need to talk about it. We don't need to talk about it," I said before Teddy cupped my face and slowly leaned in to kiss me.

I couldn't help but kiss back. It was a kiss I was longing for since I was fifteen. It just felt natural. Then, we slowly parted.

"Marry me," Teddy said.
"What," I asked.
"It's been you all along, Emmy. I thought I loved Jo, but I was wrong. I buried my feelings for you down because I was afraid you'd never feel the same. It was foolish of me to do that. Will you marry me, Emmeline Belle Rogers," Teddy asked.
"Yes! Oh, Teddy, let's get married right away," I answered.
"If that's what you want, we'll get married soon," he said before kissing me again.
"I just hope that Jo won't be upset with the two of us now that we're together," I said.
"If I know our Jo, she'll accept us with open arms," Teddy said.
"I hope so. I wanted to tell you the reason why I want us to get married so quickly. As you have heard, Aunt Winnie came down with a terrible ailment a few months ago, and I don't know how much time I have left with her. She is the only family I have besides a few cousins who are currently in Greece that want nothing to do with me. I'd really enjoy to have Aunt Winnie at our wedding. Oh, and Amy and Fred as well, if you wouldn't mind having them," I said.
"I see. I certainly wouldn't mind having Amy and Fred at our wedding in addition to your dear Aunt Winifred," Teddy said.
"Teddy, we must tell Aunt Winnie about our engagement," I said.
"Yes, of course. Let's go tell her now. We can take my carriage," he said.
"Alright," I said.

Soon, Teddy and I were at the rented apartment that Aunt Winifred and I were staying in.

"You're back sooner than I expected, Emmeline. And you brought the Laurence boy with you," Aunt Winifred said glumly.
"Teddy and I have something we would like to share with you," I said.

"Well, get on with it. I'm an old woman and haven't got all day," Aunt Winifred said.

Teddy took a breath and squeezed my hand.

"Emmy and I are engaged, and we'd like your blessing for us to get married. We'd also like you to attend our wedding," Teddy said.

Aunt Winifred was quiet for a moment. I could tell she was thinking about whether she approved of Teddy and me getting married, which we are going to get married whether she approves or not. We certainly can't let Aunt Winifred be the deciding factor for us to be wed. We've been denying our feelings for each other for too long to let a disapproval of us getting married stop us now.