The Case of Hinata Shouyou

If Tobio had the pinpoint the exact moment he falls for Oikawa, it would be when he first saw Oikawa's serve. It wasn't even because of their connected string; he was just enchanted by the beautiful way Oikawa serve starting from the beginning until the ball drops to the other side of the court. During that time, it feels like his heart is soaring.

He hasn't felt that way ever again until today.

The moment Hinata jumped, Tobio as once again reminded of the birds who fly high in the sky, free and soaring.

"I'm here!"

Hinata Shouyou's words make Tobio feels like he is eleven again, watching the most beautiful form of volleyball right in front of his eyes as his heart skips a beat.

***

The red string may get tangled and it may stretch so long that you can't see the end of it but, in the end, it will always lead you to your fated person.

Tobio didn't prepare himself for a faded red string.

Even if Tobio could still see it on his finger, it's translucency only reminded him of the painful bond between him and the person at the of the string. Honestly, when compared to other kinds of relationship stories he heard, the relationship between him and Oikawa wasn't that bad. They were never lovers and the love he held for Oikawa are purely one-sided and yet Tobio would often find himself reminiscing the little interaction they have, no matter how bittersweet it is. It just so happens that they grew colder with each other for some reason.

However, Tobio isn't one to dawdle on things for long. Even if it's painful, he'll keep moving forward, focusing on the only thing left for him; volleyball.

Tobio's plan was simple after that. Get into Karasuno for tutelage under Coach Ukai and target for the nationals. Of course, this time, he needs to be more aware of his surroundings. The scars left from the previous match are still there and he doesn't want to push people away ever again. And though he was sure that he'll probably meet Oikawa again during matches, he was determined to avoid the upperclassman for as long as he could. Maybe by that way, eventually, he'll forget the dimming red string on his pinkie.

"Why are you here??!!"

The scream immediately disrupts his concentration and the ball dropped on his head. He looks towards the owner of the loud voice.

Oh.

It's the shorty who could jump really high and move really fast.

Also...

Tobio looks at the hand pointing on him, focusing on the pinkie. The black line is still there, unmoving and stringless. Every time Tobio sees it, he feels a pang in his heart. Maybe it's because it was sad to see someone so young losing his soulmate (or perhaps because the black string reminded him a little of Kazuyo-san). Has he even met his soulmate yet?

"You're the guy from before..."

His name is Hinata Shouyou, and he is just as Tobio remembered him; small, loud and moves around a lot. It's a good thing that he didn't have black hair or else his similarities with cockroaches that he's sometimes found in the bathroom would only increase. And it's thanks to this tiny tangerine cockroach that he had already ruined his plan. On the first day, he had already been banished from the gym all because the little twerp wouldn't stop annoying him. It's like they are tied by another string that doomed Hinata to forever be the thorn on Tobio's side. Tobio wonders what colour it would be if it really does exist.

But then he met Tsukishima Kei so maybe Hinata Shouyou wasn't all that bad. Hinata is still pretty high on the list though.

While his first meeting with Hinata resorted into a declaration of rivalry, his first meeting with Tsukishima Kei quickly leads into antagonism. He seems to know every button to push to piss off Tobio effortlessly. While playing against him, Tobio admits that Tsukishima is good but good volleyball skills don't compensate for shitty personality. Tobio can vouch for that.