The Case of Tanaka Ryuunosuke

While all of his upperclassmen are cool in their own way, he couldn't deny that Tanaka Ryuunosuke is the coolest upperclassman he had.

Sure, there's also Sugawara who never hesitates to help him and give him advises and Nishinoya; the Karasuno Guardian Deity but Tanaka is simply cool in his own way. Even from the very beginning, he always helps both Tobio and Hinata even though they had caused trouble on their first day. Helping them during practice and treating them after practice; Tanaka didn't have to do any of that, but he did anyway. Perhaps this coolness is why Shimizu had always look at Tanaka even if she always rejected his advance.

It's a bit egotistical for Tobio to relate himself with Tanaka at first. He thought that he could understand but also pity his upperclassman constant advance towards the beautiful Shimizu Kiyoko despite the constant rejection. Even with their connected red string, it had always seemed that Tanaka's love for Shimizu is one-sided. Despite that, their connected string never dimmed or faded. It remains the beautiful red that it is.

(Tobio was a little envious of that.)

Still, where did Tanaka get the resolve to keep chasing after her? Did Tanaka never felt like he was a mere nuisance in his fated partner life?

But then again, unlike his faded red string, Tanaka's red string is still visible and connected. Tobio doesn't even know if his string is even connected anymore after his last meeting with Oikawa.

One day after walking home from practice, the question blurted out before he realizes it, gaining everyone's attention,

"Tanaka-san, how come you never stop chasing after Shimizu-san even when she gave you the cold shoulder?"

Everyone stopped and stared at him in disbelief. It does seem to come out of nowhere but Tobio was never one to be able to come up with a topic naturally. Sometimes the curiosity gets too much and the question was out before he knew it.

"Oh, what's this King? I thought you only have volleyball in your brain?"

"Yeah, Kageyama. Didn't know that you're the romantic type,"

Tobio glared at the snickering Tsukishima and Yamaguchi. The other upperclassmen are smiling good-naturedly but Tobio couldn't help but feel like he had just humiliated himself enough until graduation. Tanaka, however, looks happily at Kageyama as he let out a boisterous laugh.

"I see that even the volleyball obsessed Kageyama are interested in his amazing upperclassman pursuit of love!"

"Um, never mind. Forget I said anything..."

Tanaka wrapped his arm around his shoulder, successfully failing Tobio's escape as he continues, "Now, now, don't be shy. I'm always generous in sharing my knowledge with someone else. Surely our little Kageyama is asking me because he has his eyes on someone, right?"

"WHAT?!"

Hinata's loud voice almost made him dropped his curry bun and Tobio glared at him for that as Hinata averts his eyes sheepishly and pretends he didn't just shout for the whole neighbourhood to hear. Tobio sighed. Ever since that day, while their relationship hadn't changed much, Tobio could see that Hinata is dying to ask Tobio about that day but surprisingly enough, Hinata never mentioned it ever again.

"No, I don't really have my eyes on anyone. It's just that... wouldn't it be easier to just let go? Chasing after something that never looks your way, would only hurt you in the end, didn't it?"

It was silent for a while and Tobio was afraid to lift his head and meet anyone's eyes. He had spoken too much and now they could probably tell that there's more than just simple curiosity that prompted this question.