Chapter 3

My heart stopped. She said Archer Green, me. This couldn't be right, I wouldn't last a MINUTE in the Hunger Games. Harry smiled, motioning for me to come up.

"Now come on up Archer" Harry shrieked.

As The peacekeepers grabbed me by my arms and about carried me up to the stage, I burst into tears that started falling down my face. In any reaping if the tribute that is picked cries, then the capitol would find that as a sign of weakness and the other tributes from the other districts would see me as an easy target.

"Ladies and gentlemen please give a round of applause for the lucky District 7 tributes, Cyrus Hanks and Archer Green, 15 and 12 years old" Harry reported. The crowd began clapping tensely. They all knew that this school competition was not a dream come true. I tried to stop crying, but I couldn't. I peered over towards Cyrus, who was standing there in shock. She peered at me, then looked forwards again. I mean, at least I wasn't in the games by myself. I knew that was bad to think about, but it eased my crying a little. Harry curtsied, then strangely nodded her head to us, almost like she was trying to tell us something. Cyrus hurriedly bowed, then I got the memo and decided to curtsy. The ragged curtains to the side of us began to close in front of us, and then suddenly a swarm of peacekeepers escorted us away.

After Harry's last speech the peacekeepers brought Cryrus and I to two different rooms to say our last goodbyes to the people we loved. It would probably be the last room I would ever be in at 7. The room that they placed me in was a small room. The walls were painted light gray, there was a small red leather couch, and a tiny dark blue chair, and a tiny clock that ticked very loudly. To the side was a giant screen.

For the next few minutes I focused on the clock's ticking, it helped calm me down so that I wouldn't cry. I thought about the games, pretending I wasn't in them. The games started somewhere when the apocalyptic world of Panem and the dark ages ended. The capitol overpowered the districts. These people, in their natural nature, decided that we should remind people of it, and what so-called kids can't re-make a new dark age. Some time around 70 years ago there was a rebellion that almost ended the Hunger Games but ultimately made it worse. So, in order to remind the kids and teach them history lessons, they restarted the Hunger Games. Plus, it was an excuse to have more entertainment. It was a national event for Panem, once North America. It consisted of 12 Districts based on the product you produced there for the spoiled Capitol. District 7 was lumber that we produced and shipped to the capitol without getting any extra, like the rest of the districts. Anyway, The thing that was everyone's dream was the Capitol, often referred to as the Capitol. You had all the luxuries in the world. The easiest way to get to the capitol was to win the games. It was sort of like a scholarship. It was a fight to the death. Twenty four teenagers, one girl and one boy, from every campus except those spoiled capitol kids were to fight until one proved themselves worthy and won, then did whatever they wanted. Sounds great, but it isn't, fame was the problem. The other factor to the Hunger Games was from the moment you are picked for the reaping to the minute you die in the arena you are broadcast live on T.V. available for pretty much every living person in Panem.

Every child was forced to participate once they turned 12 with no exceptions to the rules. The more credits, food, or success you get during that time counts as another name for you in the bowl. Peacekeepers were like guards, always watching. They were pawns for the capitol. My parents were peacekeepers. They were transferred to District 11 long ago, and I hadn't seen them since. Thinking of that made me miss them. I hadn't seen them in person since I was 10. You probably won't ever see them again either. I needed to stop thinking negatively. After all, it was just a battle to the DEATH, and, according to Cyrus, I had a 1/22 chance, because she thinks she won't stand a chance, then there is always that kid that dies during that fight in the cornucopia minutes after it starts.

After a few minutes of peace and quiet the screen lit up in the room. My parents' faces appeared. I was stoked.

"Hi son" they exclaimed, "we've missed you so much!"

"I-- I don't know what to say, I thought I would never see you again!" Tears of joy began to trickle. We greeted each other, asking how we had been.

"Soo," My parents started, "are you really going to the Hunger Games?" We were in silence for about a minute when I spoke. "Mom. Dad. I know this is hard, but no matter how hard this is, and no matter what you see on that screen during the Hunger Games, dead or alive, you need to promise me you will be strong, no matter what happens" After I said that we managed to get a nice virtual hug before the screen blanked off. "I love you". That was the last thing I heard come out of my parent's mouth before they left me, forever.

I sat back again, waiting. Maybe I could add an advantage to my list of the Hunger Games. I got to see my parents one last time. Soon, the door opened. I saw a little redhead girl come in. It was Kwami, Cyrus's sister. I was surprised she came in knowing that I was going to be fighting against her sister. She closed the door behind her, then she opened her hand.

"Here, take this, it's a necklace, a good luck charm" She opened her hand and handed me a necklace. A little golden necklace with a bird on it. A mockingjay, one of the most annoying birds of all, mostly because they will mock you, but also they are very pretty creatures. "Um, Thanks." I replied. As I put on the necklace I heard the door open and the teachers took Kwami out of the room. Just like that.

I was in there for maybe the next thirty minutes. I waited for someone to come in. I just played with the necklace to keep me relaxed. No one else went through that door before Harry and Rapqa did. They said that it was time to go aboard the train.