5

Jisoo drove down the very luxurious neighborhood of Gangnam-gu. The sun was setting, giving the sky a sense of afterglow. It was beautiful, the fading sun rays hitting the castle-like mansions on either side of the road. Her phone rang. 

"Hey, mom. " She said, smiling.

"Oh my god, my dear. It feels like we haven't talked in ages. "

"We literally talked yesterday mom. " Jisoo chuckled.

"Well, it has been more than twenty-four hours. That is ages for me. " Her mom said. Jisoo could literally hear the pout she would have on her face.

"Okay, mom. " She laughed. "I am coming to meet you and dad. I am, in fact, driving as I talk to you. "

"Of course you would. You wouldn't dare to come to Korea and not meet your parents. Now, I am hanging up. You shouldn't talk on the phone while you drive. Goodbye Chu. "

"Bye, mom. " She rolled her eyes playfully while chuckling and hung up.

Jisoo entered the warmth of her house after driving for a few more minutes. She hung her coat on the coat rack and walked to the living room where her parents were sitting. Her mother was making tea and her father was reading the newspaper.

'Dad still is always reading that damn cluster of black words. ' Jisoo smiled as she thought, 'and how can our family be anymore aristocratic. ' She joked to herself.

"Father. mother. " She said as in to attract their attention. They looked at Jisoo and then looked at each other. For a moment there was a weird expression on their face, an expression of sadness before it was changed to that of happiness. 'strange ' she thought.

"Oh god, my daughter! " He mother screamed and rushed to hug Jisoo.

"m-mom, I------ can't --------- breathe. " She said in between pauses.

The environment of the whole house was immediately changed from calm and quiet to cheerful and happy.

"Dad. " Jisoo smiled and hugged her father.

" How have you been Jisoo? " He asked while lovingly caressing her hair.

"I have been great, papa. "

"I have prepared all your favorite dishes. Oh my child, we haven't met for months now. When was the last time dear? " Her mother asked the man in glasses.

"When we went to visit her in America, six months ago. " Her father replied.

"Oh yes yes. C'mon now, both of you. It's dinner time. "

The dinner was relatively quiet. The fact that her mother didn't ask each and every detail of her stay in America bothered Jisoo. There were small conversations but that was all. Her parents were constantly looking at each other and were giving each other nods and peculiar looks. They, obviously, thought that Jisoo couldn't notice anything. She did.

She couldn't understand why the little debacle that went down in her office was not brought up yet. As far as she knew of her aunt, she would have been throwing catalogues about how 'tribal', 'wild' and 'unladylike' the heir of Kim Associations is.

In normal circumstances, Jisoo's mother would be giving her a lecture about how wrong her doings were and that she should not treat elders like that. Then her father would interrupt saying that according to him that 'cruel and crooked witch' deserved that and how proud he is of his little princess. She did another thing, he could never do, shut up his wife's cousin sister.

Then her parents would go off in a cute little bantering sessions and would end lauging at each other. But nothing like that happened today. Jisoo still couldn't decipher the real reason behind her parents' very unusual behavior.

They were now sitting in the living room again.

"What is up with you guys today? Did something happen? " Jisoo had enough and couldn't take the suffocating vibe anymore. She was sick of her parents still treating her like their little girl. She understands that she will always be the same girl who would break down crying after being denied to a chocolate, for them. But she needed to let them know that she is all grown up now and that she can handle family problems or any, in that matter.

"You know you guys can tell me anything, right? " She urged.

"Jisoo......" Her mother trailed, "We were thinking about your marriage. " She said meekly.

"What? " She asked taking a step ahead, "I can't believe you would say this, mom. You know I don't want to get married, not now. " She said, almost not believing the words that came out of her mother's mouth.

"But Ji--"

"Don't 'Jisoo' me mom. okay? Marriages destroy more women's lives than any famine or pandemic ever could! and you know that I am not doing something just because I am 'supposed' to do it. Just because this sexist-misogynistic society tells me to, okay? " She said, her voice louder this time.

"Your mother is tired, Jisoo. Forgive her. " Her father appeared behind her mother.

"But Ha-Joon, what about the company? " Her mother whispered but it was audible to Jisoo.

"Company? Did you say company, mom? " She repeated herself.

"Jisoo don't worry about i-. "

"Don't tell me not to worry, dad. Tell me, what company is she talking about? " She said in an authoritative voice.

"I think we should tell her. Come Jisoo, sit here. " Her mother sighed.

"Twenty six years ago, when you were born, your grandfather signed a contract with the Kim family. The Kim Seok family. " Her mother started telling her the story, "The contract stated that the heir of both the Kim companies will get married. " Silence followed after.

"A-and what if that doesn't h-happen? " Jisoo asked, teary-eyed.

"The branches consisting of all the gold mines will be taken away from us. " Her father said in a whisper-y tone.

Jisoo stumbled backwards and sat down on the settee behind her. Kim Associations were few of the oldest chaebol businesses. Her ancestors started the business with the gold mines. Although, these are not that profitable anymore and their hotel branches were the main site for profit for the company, gold mines were worth a lot, emotionally.

Jisoo still remembers the times when their company was in a great loss. The gold mines was the first branch her dad asked her to protect. That is how much it meant to the whole family.

'Oh god no. ' She mumbled to herself and let her tears fall. But then she suddenly wiped them and stood up, "Alright then. I guess we don't have a lot of options right now. I will marry the heir of the Kim family. I will have to."

_____________________

Hello Hello Hello! Another update!

thoughts?

Fanfic recommendations pls.

Also, I started watching this series called Gilmore Girls. I have only watched a few episodes but it's quite solid. Have any of you guys watched it?

Are you watching any series right now? any language.