Chapter 17: Patience's End

●●●●● Ayato's Pov ●●●●●

Several days had passed since the night of the incident. Since then the Kaneko Brothers had seemed to withdraw themselves from the vampires, much to Yui's delight. It was really beginning to piss Ayato off.

Even now as they drove to school his lap was still empty. Sat across from him was a rather bored River who held a tired Akuma in his lap. That was another thing that had changed. The brothers seemed to take turns looking after their youngest though most of the times River was the one to physically keep him the closest. When the blue-haired man had dragged his youngest brother into his lap the first time Ayato had been surprised, even more so when they didn't start arguing like a cat and dog.

The red-haired vampire crossed his arms and huffed, dragging his eyes away from the two and instead looked at Pancake. She sat with a rather proud smirk on her face and he rolled his eyes. Even a brick would have been able to see the slight differences in her behavior now. Ever since that night she seemed to cling to one of his brother's like a leech, obviously not caring about the Kaneko Brothers in the slightest despite her words of pity whenever she "prayed" for them.

She was a foolish human indeed.

Ayato once again found his eyes drifting back to the duo infront of him and opened his mouth to speak but was cut off by their arrival to school.

Another silent car ride. He noticed Kanato's death grip on his teddy and his lips curved up in a smirk.

Ah, so he's not the only impatient one.

He had listened to Reiji for once but at this point it was getting a bit ridiculous! He wanted the damn Takoyaki he had been promised!

Making his way to class, the third eldest Sakamaki had a smirk on his face the entire time. He would be getting his food today one way or the other.

●●●●● River's Pov ●●●●●

Honestly, River was impressed. Ayato had managed to last 5 whole days before snapping. Class had just ended when he had felt a hand grab his own. Looking up, he found Ayato smirking down at him before beginning to drag him across the room.

River had barely enough time to signal that he was fine to Yuuto and Taito before they were walking down the hallway. He suddenly found himself in a cooking room.

That cooking room, instantly he frowned.

"Make Yours Truly the best Takoyaki in the world!" Ayato demanded as he let his wrist go and River just blinked.

"What?"

"Takoyaki! You still owe Yours Truly from defending you from Subaru!. Go on! Start cooking!" Ayato said as he sat in a chair, causing River to sigh. "Right away, Oreo." He mumbled and turned around, beginning to look for the pans and secretly smirking as he heard the vampire instantly reject the nickname.

For once, the silence wasn't oppressive. It was a comfortable silence, the sounds of him cooking being the only thing to disturb it. River found himself almost missing this. Everything had been so stressful after Yui's stupid game. Being able to just relax like this was a welcome distraction.

He hummed as he poured the batter into a pan specifically for Takoyaki and popped it into the oven, moving to start on the dishes.

After a while, Ayato spoke up after watching him.

"You aren't using your powers to help.." The vampire murmured making River snort. "Of course not. I can do the dishes on my own just fine, Oreo." He replied, much to Ayato's displeasure.