Chapter 49

It was mid-morning, and monsters were likely to be at work. Fungus wanted to go home, but he knew that was out of the question for the moment. But, this was a good chance to get Wazowski and Sullivan.

Randall and Fungus couldn't stay where they were for long. They knew that the gang and Waternoose would be after them. They had to hurry.

Together, they ran through the streets. Fungus noticed that Randall had no problem seeing where he was going. His eyes were also open wider than he had ever seen them.

"Fungus, I could go through any door to get to my friends, as long as it is in New York City. My friends will know what to do. Even if not, they'll still help anyway." Randall said, breathing hard.

After running more than three blocks, they both pulled up to catch their breaths. Fungus held his chest. "I'm not used to this kind of running, Randall."

"I am. Catch your breath and we'll keep going." Randall said.

"Who... are these friends?" Fungus asked breathlessly.

"Mutant creatures. They know how to deal with all sorts of bad guys. They're ninjas, so they're experts at both fighting and staying hidden. I learned a lot from them."

"I have never known you to stand up for me before. That was brave of you, Sir." Fungus praised. "They must have taught you something."

"Like how to care about others." Randall said. "We have to save the human kids too. We already know they aren't toxic."

"Yes, I know, but the rest of the monster world doesn't know that." Fungus said.

As they neared the factory, Randall vanished for good measure. "Sullivan is the new CEO now since Waternoose was arrested," Fungus explained.

"Then we have to talk to Sullivan." Randall said.

They went into the factory and walked calmly through the building. It was close to noon, and there were monsters walking everywhere. The pair headed straight for the CEO's office.

Other monsters were shocked to see Fungus here after not being seen for a long time. "Fungus! Where have you been?" Many monsters asked.

Randall and Fungus picked up the pace. "No time! Where's the CEO! Where's Sullivan?!" Fungus gasped.

"Slow down. What's wrong!" one of the monsters yelled.

"We need his help! Now!" Fungus screamed urgently.

"Alright! He should be in his office right now." the other monster yelled.

They hurried up to the CEO's office. They soon got there and other monsters had followed him.

Randall knocked on the door. He was slightly ahead of Fungus. "Come in." was heard on the other side.

Randall opened the door and he and Fungus slipped inside, closing the door behind them.

Sulley stood up in surprise when he saw who it was. "Jeffrey Fungus? We haven't seen you for ages. What brings you here?"

Fungus was breathing hard. "Water-- noose!" He gasped out, then fell over.

"Fungus!" Sulley ran over to help him up.

"Waternoose and his gang of misfits want to use the Scream Extractor!" Randall finished for him.

Sulley stopped when he heard that voice. It couldn't be!

Randall appeared as he helped Fungus to his feet. He looked over at the big blue monster warily.