fifteen

"What should I wear?"

Noah shrugs. "It's just a job interview, Benjamin. Just dress casual."

Benjamin rolls his eyes. "Casual? Are you serious? Do you know what's it like to be a software engineer-."

Noah opens his mouth but is quickly cut off. "No, you don't. God...What if I don't get the job? O-Or freeze up during the interview."

Noah raises his eyebrows and looks down at his food. He grabs a few fries in his hands.

Benjamin shakes his head. "You know what? Nope. I'm not gonna let that happen. I'm gonna be just fine."

Noah nods his head, looking back up. "You done being melodramatic?"

"You're annoying. Shut up and eat your fries."

Noah chuckles and grabs his soda, taking a drink. Tatiyana walks inside the fast-food restaurant with Kehlani walking next to her.

She smiles as she sees them. "Hey, you guys!"

Benjamin smiles back. "Hey. You and Lucas are still here?"

Tatiyana sighs and nods. "Mhm. We have some...Things to sort out...So, what's this? A date?"

Benjamin blushes and shakes his head. "Uh-Nope...No, just...Having lunch together."

Noah doesn't respond, just looking back down at his plate. "Okay, well, I'll leave you guys to it. Say bye, Kehlani."

Kehlani waves to the two, a smile on her face. Benjamin smiles back. "Bye, bye."

**
"Ugh. It was so awkward!" Benjamin dramatically falls back onto Gabi's bed. "I mean, why can't exes be out together without people thinking they're still seeing each other?"

Gabi furrows her brows. "Hm. Maybe because it's obvious those two exes aren't over each other."

"What? No...Noah's definitely over me. I mean...He's the one that broke it off anyway."

"God, help me, Benny you're so incredibly smart but you're also so oblivious."

Benjamin sits back up on the bed. "Excuse me?"

"Always have been. Remember Johnathan?"

Benjamin groans and falls back down. "God, I'm nervous enough for this interview. I don't need exes drama in my life. A-And plus...I can't be with anyone right now. I'm a mess!"

Gabi laughs and holds a dress in front of herself while looking in the mirror. "I think you're gonna be fine, babe."

Benjamin props himself up on his elbows. "What are you doing?"

Gabi sighs and grabs another dress. "Having dinner with Alexis tonight. She invited me to sleepover!"

Benjamin raises his eyebrows. "Oh wow. You sure you guys aren't dating?"

Gabi shrugs. "Call it what you want."

Benjamin nods. "Go with the black dress."

"That's what I was thinking." She grabs the other three dresses and hangs them back up in her closet. She leaves the black dress on the chair she had in her room.

She walks around to lay down next to Benjamin on the bed. "You're gonna nail this interview, Benny. Don't worry."

Benjamin smiles and looks over at her. "Any advice on Noah?"

Gabi laughs and shakes her head. "I don't know. You know him better than anyone. Just talk to each other."

"What if he doesn't feel the same way?"

"Then it's his loss. But it can't hurt to try, right?"

Benjamin sighs and looks up at the ceiling.

**
Noah walks into his apartment, just getting back from his parents' house. He decided to give a little bit of space and go to his own place.

Noah shuts the front door and sighs, looking around at the mess. He shakes his head and reaches down on the ground grabbing a pile of clothes.

He shoves them in the washer, not separating them at all. He hopes they don't get ruined.

He then works his way into the kitchen. He hadn't touched these dishes in god knows how long.

He hears his doorbell ring and shakes his head.

He turns off the sink and wipes his wet hands onto his shorts before swinging the front door open.

Benjamin looks up and smiles at him, holding a bag of takeout. "Hey. Have you eaten yet?"

*
Noah sits back on the couch, glancing over at Benjamin who was still eating and watching the TV in front of him.

He wipes his hands down on his shorts and stands up. "Want anything to drink?"

Benjamin shrugs. "Uhm, just water, please."

"Okay." Noah goes into his kitchen, grabbing himself a beer and Benjamin bottled water.

Benjamin sets his food down and tucks his hair behind both of his ears. Noah sits back down, opening his beer and taking a sip.

Benjamin curses in his head and turns to Noah. "Hey, can I ask you a question?"

Noah looks over and raises his eyebrows. He wipes his mouth and grabs the TV remote, pausing the movie they were watching.

"Sure, what's up?"

"Uhm...I was just wondering...Back in college before everything, you know? Can I just ask like...Why you...Why you broke it off with me?"

Noah clears his throat and sits up. "Uh...What do you mean by that? Like-?"

"I was just wondering like...Was it me? Did I do something to make you disinterested? Or...Did you like meet someone else?"

"It was never like that, Benjamín."

"Well, what was it?"

Noah shrugs his shoulders. "I was scared that I was gonna be too distant and I thought it would be easier if I just let you go."

"But you told me always-."

"I know I said that. I just felt like a burden and I knew you deserved better than to be ignored."

"But...Why didn't you try and make it work? After everything we've been through together, I just don't understand."

Noah nods his head. "I know and I'm sorry. I wish things could've been different. And knowing what you went through with Markus just makes me feel even shittier. And I know you hate me but-."

"No...I don't feel like that I just-."

Noah shrugs his shoulders. "It's true and I thought we could stay friends you know? But you stopped talking to me and-."

"You broke my heart, Noah. I-I couldn't just talk to you and act like everything was okay."

"I...I know I was just...Hoping that one day I could like...Unbreak your heart."

Benjamin starts blushing but doesn't respond.

Noah shakes his head and clears his throat. "What am I thinking?" He nervously chuckles and stands up. "What time is it? You should...probably head home."

Benjamin shakes his head and reaches out to grab Noah's arm. "N-No...Sit down, I-."

Noah sits back down and sighs. He shakes his head. "I'm sorry...T-This is awkward and-."

Benjamin shakes his head Noah and reaches out to grab his face. "Noah...I don't hate you, stop saying that."

Noah shrugs his shoulders. "I'd understand if you did."

Benjamin shakes his head again. "Well I don't, okay?"

Noah finally makes eye contact with Benjamin and smiles. "Thanks."

Benjamin nods and smiles back. "Of course." He takes a small gulp before leaning in and kissing him on the lips.

**