thirty six

"I'll grab our bags. Go greet him, he should be home."

Jazmyne hops out of the car, walking up to Victor's front door. She knocks twice waiting for an answer.

Victor answers the door, a smile on his face. "Jazzy! Hey! I thought you guys weren't coming in till tomorrow?"

"We wanted to surprise you." Jazmyne smiles as he leans in to hug her. "We just got here."

Elly appears, holding both suitcases as well as Jazmyne extra bag that she claimed she needed.

"Hey, Mija." Victor smiles and leans in to hug Elly. "Come in. Are you guys hungry?"

Jazmyne nods her head. "One hundred percent." Elly allows Jazmyne to walk in first, in which Victor lets Elly in before him.

Elly sets their bags by the front door, looking around. "Is Stella here?"

"At work," Victor responds. Stella was Victor's new girlfriend who he met at a dinner. "So, how long ya planning on staying?"

Elly shrugs. "Don't know yet. Gotta feel shit out."

Jazmyne nods. "Mhm. We talked about maybe a week or so? Maybe more."

Victor nods and smiles. "Jaz is starting to pick up that New York accent, huh?"

"Seems like it."

Jazmyne smiles. "I know! It's crazy," She feels her phone ringing in her back pocket. "Oh, it's my mom. Uh, excuse me."

Elly smiles at her before hopping up to sit on the kitchen counter while her dad prepared lunch. "So...Ana's gettin' out soon?"

Victor looks up at her and nods. "Apparently so. The judge doesn't think she's a danger to society. She's had all good behavior while in jail...I don't know."

Elly leans her head back against the counter. "Five whole years without her," She sighs. "Can't lie, felt really nice."

Victor nods. "I know, honey. But...You're not in that place anymore. You know that."

"I know, I know. I just...Wish they'd lock her up and throw away the key." Elly says.

Jazmyne walks back into the kitchen, a smile on her face. "My mom has no idea! I'm so excited to see her."

Elly smiles at the joy radiating off of her face. "We'll go see them after lunch, okay?"

**
Elly was sitting in the car, waiting for Jazmyne to get done in the restroom. She had her phone pressed to her ear, as she dialed Noah's number.

He picks up at the very last second. "Sup, Compa?"

"Hey, man. I'm in yo city."

"Oh, word? When'd you get here?"

"Couple hours ago. I went to my Pops and we finna head out to Jazz's parents. Where you at?"

"I'm at Benjamin's. Stayed the night."

"Oh yeah..! We heard ya was back on. That's dope."

"It is. Well, we gotta meet up. All of us, I mean. Well, you guys and Benny and Gabs. Got a lot to talk about, huh?"

"Seems like it," Elly watches as Jazmyne walks out the front door, waving bye to Victor. "How about tonight? We could meet at a restaurant?"

"Okay. I'll ask around. I'll text you."

"Aight cool. See ya soon." Elly hangs up the phone and Jazmyne gets into the car. "Hey, you wanna catch dinner with friends later."

"Sure!" Jazmyne suddenly frowns. "Wait, we're still going to see my parents, right?"