I

The Villian

~

With a hand clutched at his burning side, Kai couldn't believe she'd done it. The red that had stuck and clumped against his palms when he had touched his leg was proof enough. Still, it left the rage in his chest unfurling, and that was the issue.

That actually, he could believe it; she was a Bennett witch after all. A spiteful, angry, conniving witch who had used his misplaced empathy against him.

And that stupid, natural attraction Kai could never shake.

Even when he was a still a complete sociopath, tucked away in his own little prison, he had to admit—Bonnie drew him in.

Whether that be with odd curiosity as he studied her, her brows furrowed at a crossword puzzle, or the feeling of warmth that came from her hand as it rested on his chest, where the Ascendant had resided in their first meeting.

The same hands that clutched the knife that stabbed him. Hands that, clearly, lead him far away from the others, cornered him with his feelings of trust, and stabbed him in the back; leaving him as bloody and exhausted as he was now.

The same, damn hands he wanted to feel against his skin, even now. Even with the rage in her eyes, as he had just barely escaped that final plunge, the one meant to kill him.

For some strange reason, he thought there might be a chance. That she was just angry at him, for asking for her to come here with him. Or for the teasing he couldn't hold back, or the insisting that she let him apologize.

Maybe this was just to scare him. Some constructive, relive-my-trauma-so-you-can-understand-it type of thing. But no, that was too hopeful even for Kai.

He'd taken it too far with her. She hated him, she just—she wanted him dead.

Dead, or trapped here.

And he still tried, as he used his last bit of strength to catch up, they were just about to leave. Happy, gooey, and dramatic Damon and Elena, what could only be that famous ripper mother, and Bonnie.

Bonnie. The witch who had stabbed him in the back, and dug a blade into his leg. Who had aimed for the heart, and just barely missed. Bonnie.

Please, don't do this.

"Bonnie!" He cried out in a guttural scream, begging as that flash began, but he didn't expect her to look. He didn't expect her eyes to meet his. But she did. Those green, flickering, unforgettable eyes that stared back at him. He couldn't figure out what she was thinking, and hell, maybe he didn't want to know.

That bright, blinding flash came and went, and they were gone. Kai could feel the magic buzz begin to die out when it left him in yet another empty world. He couldn't help it as he rasped out a breath, sighing and falling to his knees as he forced his weight against a tree. He looked at the place where they all had just been huddled, crying out in frustration, his mind racing with so many thoughts of how she could do this—how he had completely fallen for it, and the impending doom of never getting out.

No escape.

Most of all, he thought of how brilliant she was. She knew thar she could get him alone and with his guard down. That this was the perfect revenge if, and only if, he died here in the cold of 1903.

The cold, shaken laughter soon left him without realizing. He let it mull out, before he was lookin at the ground for a moment and continuing to rasp at the cold against his skin. He losing blood, and therefore losing heat. This would be deadly soon,

"Never piss off a Bennett... that's always what the damn coven said."  He grunted, now truly alone to let his thoughts out as he contemplated surviving. Or at least, he thought he was, when he heard the crunch of snow over his shoulder.

He jerked his head back to look, not helping the way his breath caught in his throat, and a hopeful grin tugged at his lips.

There she stood. Bonnie Bennett, who was supposed to leave with the trio who'd followed them in. Who had just sent away his only leverage against her, and who probably already hid the Ascendant away from wherever he could get it. Selfless, spiteful, beautiful Bonnie Bennet, staring him down with those green eyes.

Reverence was no longer just a choice. She commanded it. He could have sworn on the weak beating in his chest, she was an angel.

"Then they were right." She answered quietly.

He could hardly try to fight it as she raised her open palm towards him and he felt an undeniable heaviness on his eyelids, followed by a push on the back of his mind. He couldn't help it though, a grin on his lips as he relented and closed his eyes,

"Bonnie, my savior."