III

The pulsing in the back of his mind, faded with slumber, was the same rhythm that stirred Kai awake a couple hours later. It was still the middle of the night, and Bonnie had slept after patching him up and fool-proofing the Ascendant, so that it couldn't be reached, especially not without her.

It took a considerable amount of her magic to hide it, knowing even an ordinary locator spell wouldn't get through the incantation she'd used. Even if her magic was robbed of her, it wouldn't be traced, but she knew better now. She'd be careful when getting close to Kai.

Essentially, she was exhausted, and had settled into the large arm chair across from him as the fire crackled. As Kai's eyes opened, his face was turned in her direction, and they immediately landed on her. Despite his quick glances spent looking around to get his bearings, and realizing he was truly inside the old Salvatore house and warm, he studied her. Bonnie had taken off her jacket, but had it wrapped over her shoulders, now partially sliding off her sweater and down towards her waist as she curled in the seat.

Asleep, she looked so peaceful. If he didn't know better, he could hardly believe the same quietly-dozing witch had nearly killed him only hours earlier; luring him into the forest and away from the others.

But he did, and as much as a part of him wanted to admire her, his guard was up. He wouldn't let his pesky merge feelings destroy him again, even if that meant ignoring whatever guilt or pull that had lured him back to Bonnie to apologize.

He'd made enough mistakes today. Until he knew any better, he was on defense.

He let out a sigh, placing his arms on the couch to push himself up, but the rush of pain stretching over his lower back and leg caused a groan to escape him. The sound was loud enough to stir the witch as her breath caught, and her eyes flickered open, jerking her head up to look at him. Kai knowingly looked away, gritting his teeth to fight another groan as he tried to keep the pain from dizzying him, continuing to try and get up as the Bennet spoke hoarsely,

"You'll make it worse. Sit still." Her tone somehow still managed to be distant, and she was rubbing the sleep from her eyes when Kai turned his emphatic gaze to her,

"What did you do to me, Bonnie?" He accused, though his tone was still a little light, almost like it was a joke. But as she stepped over to him with a tired sigh, he relented, dropping back onto the bed with another groan as his arms went almost numb beside him. Now, he could feel the pain even when he was staying still, throbbing where his skin was exposed and even deeper, on the inside of his wounds.

Bonnie could be seen grabbing something, before walking closer and kneeling down at his side. Kai couldn't help it, his eyes peering into hers as he tried to guess what she could possibly be thinking, looking for any signs of pity or remorse,

"Once I got you inside, I stitched the wounds and patched you up. When you're strong enough, I'm sure you can figure out if there's anything internal." Despite admitting to helping him, Bonnie had that cold detachment she always did when speaking about him. He couldn't help it, the corners of his lips tilting up despite any lingering frustration at the pain.

It was only him she spoke to like this. Like it was their thing.

As he parted his lips he felt her fingers brush against the skin of his back. He knew it was so she could study the wound, but he let out a soft sigh of relief as that pain of his greatly lessened. When he opened his eyes the touch was gone and Bonnie was only staring at him darkly. He tried not to look upset, wishing he hadn't been so obvious about the relief,

"How considerate of you." He said in the same detached yet sarcastic tone, "Will you help me up?" Bonnie's eyes narrowed for a moment, before she gave a slight shake and averted her eyes to his back,