two

Just as Sapnap had said, Dream returned to school the following Monday.

They, unfortunately, had Comp-Sci first period that day, which meant that George would have to deal with a completely worn-out Dream all lesson. He couldn't say he minded much, though, excitement at seeing the younger man again overtaking any potential future frustration. Dream arrived exactly as the bell run to signify the start of class, slamming the door shut behind him as he entered the room.

George watched with a grimace as the taller man all but threw himself into his desk chair, groaning in exhaustion as he buried his head into the cool wood beneath him. He hadn't even bothered to take his backpack off, instead letting it bash painfully against his back whenever he moved. George hadn't even managed to catch sight of his face when he came in, but he knew it probably wasn't a pretty sight.

Truthfully, George didn't know much about heats or ruts. He'd shut down his brain during Sex-Ed classes where it was mentioned, not wanting to be reminded of his own gender or the consequences that came with it. He wasn't close friends with any Alphas, and so had never really seen the effects that followed a rut in person either. Overall, he was clueless- and so had no idea how to help his lanky friend.

"Heyyy buddy," George grinned awkwardly, reaching over to gently grab Dream's bag and place it on the floor for him, "How're you holding up?"

"I want to die, Georgie," Dream moaned, turning his head to the side so he could look up at him, "I'm in so much pain."

George could finally see what kind of damage had been dealt after Dream moved his head, letting out a sympathetic wince as he checked him over. Dark purple eye bags had formed under Dream's eyes, blatantly obvious against the washed-out appearance of his skin. His eyes themselves were still slightly red, whether from being stuck in his Alpha state for so long or from frustrated crying, George couldn't tell.

Dream just seemed like a mess in general, to be honest. His normally shiny, soft-looking hair was slightly tangled and clearly unbrushed atop his head. He very obviously hadn't tried with his outfit for the day either, wearing a crumpled t-shirt and some loose grey sweats. George hated that he thought Dream still looked good anyway.

"That bad, huh?" George snorted, moving his hand over to pat his back supportively.

"You don't know the half of it," Dream sighed, the muscles on his back flexing at the small touch appreciatively, "You're so lucky that you aren't an Alpha or an Omega, man, it fucking sucks."

"Yeah, super lucky." George quickly bit back the frown that threatened to pop out. He looked down at his bag instead to hide it, eyes quickly narrowing in on the pouch at the front to spot the outline of his heat-suppressants. Ever since he'd turned sixteen, his dosage had to be increased to three times a day- meaning he had to take one at school too. They served as a miserable little reminder of his real second gender, but he'd rather have them be in his line of sight where he knew they were safe than have them shoved somewhere carelessly in his bag where they could get crushed or lost.

They sat in silence for a few moments as the teacher started the lesson, both trying to focus yet failing miserably. Dream was too tired to care, whereas George was still lost in his own head- nervous thoughts of heats and pills spiralling around his mind.

"...What's a rut like?" George asked quietly before he could stop himself, his eyes wide once he realised what he'd said. His hand flew off of Dream's back to cover his mouth, a blush rising to his cheeks in embarrassment, "Fuck, oh my god. I'm so sorry, I honestly didn't mean to-"

"Calm down, George, you're fine," Dream chuckled, still looking a little startled from the question. He slowly sat up straight, his eyebrows furrowing as he thought it over, "As you can see, they aren't exactly... fun. For mated pairs it's probably not as bad, but for solo guys like me? They're hell."