22

I sat on the couch that evening wondering why Maryse hadn't spoken to or even gone near Jace since she'd gotten back. As far as I could remember, they hadn't gotten into any fights before she left and Jace hadn't done anything completely out of line while she'd been gone... or was bringing two mundanes into the institute crossing it? Either way, it left me utterly confused.

But as I sat in the library, I started hearing voices coming from down the hall. They were getting louder and louder with each second until I could almost make out the words. Quickly, I stood up and made my way down the hall to wear the voices were coming from. I ended up outside the door of Maryse and Robert's office where I stood listening. But as soon as I had gotten into place, the door swung open and Jace angrily stalked out.

"Jace!" I called after him, but he didn't even turn back to look at me.

"Come in, Alison." Maryse's cold voice called from inside.

"What the hell just happened?" I asked. "I could hear you two from the library."

"Just a few things I had to clear up, him being one of them. And to think he acted like a part of this family for so many years-" She had traces of tears in her eyes as I interrupted her.

"What are you talking about?" I asked astonished.

"Isn't it obvious? He's a spy for Valentine."

"Are you shitting me?" I questioned.

"Language, Alison. And no, I am not."

"He has been apart of this family even longer than I have. I trusted him with my life and I still do. In fact, he and Izzy did save my life-"

"Exactly. My daughter was there to save you."

"But Jace helped, too!" I argued.

"Enough of this, Alison." Maryse said, the tears coming back into her eyes. "I have already kicked one out of this institute-"

"You kicked him out?" I yelled.

"Yes, and as I was saying, I wouldn't be afraid to throw another." Maryse said. "Now off you go."

My glare lingered on her for a few moments as she began filing through some papers before I finally gave up and stormed out of the office. I slammed the door behind me so hard that the glass shattered and fell to the ground. Maryse let out a small scream and I laughed a bit in satisfaction. But I still couldn't manage to get over the fact that she had kicked Jace out.

I ran down the hall hoping to catch up to Jace even though I knew my attempt would be of no use. He was probably long gone by now and I'd probably have to spend my night out on the streets looking for him.

I set off down the street not even knowing where to go to begin my search. As I thought, I realized this was exactly the type of situation that Jace would probably go to a bar during, so I decided to check all the bars in the area. I went to place after place searching for him, but each one was a failed attempt on finding him. It had gotten to be so late that I was almost tempted to give up. But I finally stumbled upon some werewolf bar downtown. I made my way inside and my attention was quickly diverted to the blond haired boy viciously wrestling with multiple werewolves.

"Get away from him!" I yelled as I pushed my way through the crowds. "Hey, stop! Put him down!"

My yelling only gained little attention and I realized I needed to do something big to get their attention. I walked over to the wooden counter while pulling out two of my seraph blades. After climbing onto the counter, I hit one blade against the other making a loud clanging noise. The room fell silent all looking at me.

"Thank you." I said exasperated as I climbed down. "I'll be taken him now."

"Who gives you permission?" One burly guy in the back said.

"I'm his girlfriend. I give myself permission, thank you very much." I said as I put one of Jace's arms around my shoulder.

He was practically passed out by now, from both the alcohol and the fighting. I dragged him all the way to the door and was almost out of trouble when suddenly one of the smartasses decided to stick his foot out in front of Jace, who in return stumbled and fell to the ground leaving me to turn on the wolf. I punched him straight in the nose and immediately he retaliated.

Jace was left forgotten on the floor as I battled it out. The werewolf was probably only a few years older than I was and he was definitely stronger. But I was quicker, giving me a different kind of advantage. But one time I wasn't quick enough and he landed two blows on my face, a punch to the eye and a fingernail scrape across the side of my forehead. Blood started to pour down my face and I stepped back momentarily blinded.

"What is going on here?" Luke's voice was heard through the crowd. "This is not how we act!"

"She started it!" I shook my head at the immaturity.

"Yeah, because I forced you to trip him." I said, referring to Jace.

"Let's just get you two out of here." Luke shook his head as he began dragging Jace out of the door.

Once we were outside in the alley with the door shut behind us, Luke laid Jace on the ground and turned to me for an explanation I didn't fully have.

"Listen, all I know is that I came to get him and found him in the middle of a fight with some of your guys. After I got him, I was walking to the door when that arrogant son of a bitch tripped Jace, so naturally I retaliated."

"Why would Jace be at this place, anyway? Everyone knows it's only werewolves who come here."

"He was looking for trouble, probably." I sighed.

Luke understood just as anyone else who knew Jace would. Jace always sought out trouble or a good fight if he was in the mood for it. And let me be the first to say, he almost always got what he was looking for.

"I should probably get you two back to the Institute." Luke sighed as he lifted Jace.

"Not possible." I sighed. "Maryse kicked Jace out. She thinks he's working with Valentine."

"Alrighty, then. I'll just have to bring you two down to the station for the night."

I didn't have any other ideas so I let Luke lead me and drag Jace to wherever it was he was taking us. The walk didn't take long and soon we were walking in the front doors. Luke put Jace and I in the same room and I immediately laid down on one of the beds exhausted. Luke dropped Jace on the other before turning to walk out the door.

"You really love him, don't you?" He asked.

"Would I have fought off werewolves for him if I didn't?" I asked.

"No, I guess not." Luke shrugged. "Just don't let yourself fall too hard. I know how that feels..."

He walked out the door without another word leaving me to contemplate his words. Obviously I knew he was talking about Jocelyn. He'd been her friend for years and it was so apparent that he was in love with her. I looked over at Jace to see he was stirring in his unconscious state and wondered if I would ever lose him and end up like Luke. Wishing for and wanting something I couldn't have.