1

The Present

I woke up screaming as the visions flashed through my mind. My parents deaths still haunted me even now. I never found out who had killed them or why. Maryse didn't know what my mother had been talking about. I also had other visions that I couldn't explain. They almost seemed to be predicting something. Sometimes I connected my dreams to things that had happened after I dreamt them and realized I had visions of things that were going to happen. I couldn't always decode my dreams, which kept me from always being able to tell the future. Most of the time, I also didn't even remember my dreams.

I wiped away the tears that were streaming down my face, desperately trying to stop crying. I hoped my screams hadn't been loud enough to wake up Jace again, but seconds later he was bursting through my door. He saw me trying to wipe away the tears and quickly came over to me. His arms encircled me as I sobbed into his shirt not bothering to try to conceal it anymore. He rubbed my back trying to get me to calm down and it was comforting. I eventually calmed down and pulled away.

"I'm sorry." I squeaked.

"I've told you so many times there is no need to apologize." He said.

He was right, there had been so many times he told me because there had been so many times he had come running when he heard my screaming. Sometimes I was awake when he came in, but other times he had to shake me awake. There were also times I'd awake with no screams but still tears and run down to Jace's room seeking comfort, which he always gave.

"Thank you." I said.

He climbed into bed next to me as I scooted over to make room. He always did this. He would stay with me until I fell asleep and leave before morning because we didn't want anyone to see. It wasn't like anything was happening between us, we were just afraid if we were caught, they wouldn't allow us to do it.

"Anytime." He said. And I knew he meant it.

I drifted off to sleep thinking about how I couldn't have asked for a better best friend. Sure, him and Alec were parabatai and they had that really close brother bond, but Jace and I just had more in common. There was nothing we wouldn't tell each other. Well, except for one thing.

Over the past five years, I've not only developed a friendship with Jace. I've also developed feelings for him. It's bad in more ways than good. Firstly, I'm always getting my heart broken because he constantly flirts with girls and seems to have a new one each month. Secondly, he would never fall for me because he sees me as his sister. I just wish I could tell him, but I could never bring myself to do it. Alec was right when he said the rune for a broken heart was the most painful in lessons the other day. I of all shadowhunters would know. It seems like it is a permanent mark on me instead of just temporary. I always put it where I know no one would see it. Even if the others did, they would probably think my heart is still broken from my parents death, which it is partly.

I woke up the next morning to see, as usual, I was the only one in my bed. I got up and ready as I decided I would go out demon hunting. I put my weapons belt on around my waist and my hood over my head. I headed out my door to see Jace exiting his room. I smiled and waved and he returned the gesture before I walked down the stairs to the kitchen. I now knew the Institute like the back of my hand, so luckily I no longer got lost.

I grabbed a muffin and a water bottle before heading outside. I quickly ate before putting the rune on my arm that allowed me to go unseen to people without the sight. I started walking again, but it wasn't long before someone came running up behind me.

"You forgetting something?" Jace asked with a smirk.

"No, I have everything." I joked as I checked my pockets.