9

I woke up the next morning and looked at my clock to see it was 9:00. And as I looked at my calendar, I remembered my birthday was tomorrow. I wondered what the others were planning and smiled slightly thinking how I couldn't wait. But as I started towards the door, I remembered my vision and seeing Jace with Clary, which caused my smile to disappear.

I opened my door as quietly as I could before sprinting down to the kitchen in hopes of avoiding Jace. But as I ran into the kitchen, I saw my efforts had been wasted. There he was, sitting at the table with Izzy. I avoided conversation with both of them as I made my breakfast, which consisted of waffles and strawberries.

"Hi Ali, I didn't hear you come in." Izzy said as she looked up when I went to exit.

"I'm just going to go eat." I said awkwardly as Jace looked up at me. "So see you later."

I walked out but stayed by the door to listen in on what they were saying.

"She's been acting a little weird lately." Izzy said.

"I've noticed." Jace stated.

"I don't know why. I mean, I can't think of anything that's happened." Izzy said, but Jace stayed silent. "Can you?"

"I thought of something, but I know, well at least I think she wouldn't be bothered by it." Jace answered.

"What?" Izzy said.

"She had another nightmare the other night and she has been acting strange ever since. I tried to talk to her about it last night, but she wouldn't let me in."

"When last night?"

"After I kissed Clary and had an argument with her and Simon, I went to see Ali. But as I said, she wouldn't let me in."

Then there was silence. I waited a bit before I heard Izzy say she was going to come talk to me. I heard her chair push out as I sprinted silently down the hall to my room. I sat down at my desk and shoved a big portion of waffle in my mouth to make it look like I had been here eating. She knocked on my door before coming in.

"Can we talk?" She asked, and I nodded in response as I chewed my waffle. "I just wanted to find out what's been going on with you lately. You seem... upset."

"Nothing's wrong." I said answering the question she had asked indirectly.

"I think I know what it is." She said. "I think either your nightmares are really starting to get to you or your jealous of Clary because she's been spending a lot of time with Jace."

I didn't know what to say, so I sat in silence for a moment before sighing and answering. "Both."

"So what's been going on with your nightmares?" Izzy asked.

"They just seem to be getting worse." I answered simply.

"Okay, and what about the jealously?"

"I just... Jace and I have done almost everything together for the past five years and now Clary has come in and all he seems to want is to be with her. I just want my best friend back."

"So, I'm just going to read between the lines here and say you're in love with Jace."

"What? I am not in love with Jace." I lied as I stuttered, waffle almost flying out of my mouth.

Izzy just looked at me with her eyebrows raised as I took another bite of my waffle. I looked back at her for a few seconds before cracking.

"Is it that obvious?" I asked.

"Not to him, no. He's oblivious to this sort of thing. He is use to girls just being straight forward with it."

"If you ever tell anyone-"