24

I knew it was wrong, but the whole time they were taking inside the room, I was eavesdropping. Jace was trying to say he was adult and could live on his own, even suggested living a year in the mundane world. But I knew Jace would never last in a world with no demons, no weapons, and no fighting. I felt bad and even thought of leaving the Institute to be with Jace and make sure he was okay. But suddenly Luke offered for him to stay with him, in the same house as Clary, and my heart dropped into my stomach. Before I could think much linger on it, Maia walked up to Simon and I.

"Hey, there." She said when she was right in front of us. "Are you waiting to see Luke? Is he in there?"

"He's in there with a friend of mine. We're waiting for them to finish talking." Simon answered.

"Well, I hate to tell you this," she said, "but your friend is an asshole."

"He's not my friend." said Simon said as he glanced at me.

"I'm with him, but I couldn't agree more." I said showing no expression.

"But I thought you said-" Maia started looking at Simon.

"I'm waiting for his sister." said Simon. "She's my best friend."

"And she's in there with him right now?" Maia said as she gestured towards the door. "Well, I know about asshole brothers. I guess it's not her fault."

"It's not." said Simon. "But she's maybe the only person he might listen to."

My jaw clenched as I heard Simon's words knowing they were probably true, even though I didn't want them to be. I could just never compare to Clary in his eyes.

"He didn't strike me as the listening type." She smirked before she looked at Simon more closely with amusement written on her face. "You're looking at my scar. It's where I was bitten."

"Bitten? You mean you're a-"

"A werewolf." Maia stated.

Simon and the girl continued to go back and forth about werewolves as I zoned off. With them talking, I could no longer hear what was being said inside the room, but I also wasn't interested in their conversation. The only part I caught was when Maian introduced herself to Simon. He told her his name before glancing over at me. He must have realized I wasn't interested in talking for he told the girl my name for me. Maia recounted our earlier meeting before she began to leave. As she did, she asked one more question.

"Do you think he'll listen to her?"

"If he listens to anyone, it would be her." Simon didn't realize his words were twisting a dagger in my heart, figuratively of course.

"That's sweet, that he loves his sister like that." She smiled slightly.

"Yeah, it's precious." Simon answered sounding a bit nervous.

And I was nervous for the very same reason. It was then I decided to kick my foot of the wall, giving me momentum to turn and quickly walk down the hall leaving Simon and Maia to stare curiously at my retreating figure. I pushed forcefully on the doors and exited the building before rushing back to the institute. I made it there in nearly record time and stormed off to the library to let off some steam. As I walked through the Institute, I heard the sounds of Isabelle, Alec, and Max joking around together and my heart stung. I wished I still had my family, and I wish I had had a sibling that could've escaped with me and been here with me. Sure, the three lightwood siblings were like my siblings, but they hadn't known me for as long as they've known each other. They didn't understand me or what I've been through as well. I shook my head trying to clear my thoughts as I entered the library and went up to the top landing of shelves. I collapsed on the ground and grabbed one of the books on the lower shelves and began reading to try to take my mind away from things. Turns out, the book was filled with stories of shadowhunter history, but I didn't mind. I just needed something to take my mind away.

A few minutes later, I heard the door creak open and I slowly crept towards the edge to look down. When my eyes just made it over the edge, I saw Maryse walking across the library floor to her desk in the back. I leaned back against the bookcase as she began talking, to who I didn't know, but I heard a second voice echoing in the library. I figured she was on the phone and didn't bother to look again. I didn't listen very closely either. My ears didn't pay close attention, but they did when the doors opened again a little while later. There were multiple footsteps and I easily recognized Jace's as one. I put down my book and listened to why they were here.

"Raphael?" Clary's voice was full of surprise. I glanced over the edge slowly and saw a hologram of the person mentioned standing before the desk in front of Maryse.

"Dios." He spoke to Jace. "You look like a pack of wolves tried to tear you apart."

"That's either a shockingly good guess or you heard what happened." Jace didn't look very amused.

Raphael grinned. "I hear things."

"Jace, why are you back so soon? I thought you were..." Maryse trailed off as she looked behind Jace. "Who are you?"

"Jace's sister." Clary answered.

"Yes, I can see it. You look like Valentine." Maryse was tense.

They talked more, about Clary and Luke, and also Raphael spoke to Luke about arranging some meeting. To talk about what, I didn't have a clue. My ears perked up, though, when I heard Raphael mention something about killings.

"Was Raphael here here about the cub killed today?" Luke questioned.

"That and the dead warlock." Maryse answered and I was confused for this was the first time I was hearing about killings.

"The warlock was drained of blood, and it seems whoever murdered the cub was interrupted before blood could be taken. The vampire came to assure me the Night Children had nothing to do with the killing.

"Do you believe him?" Jace questioned.

"I don't care to talk business of the clave right now, Jace. Especially with Luke here with us." Maryse said coldly before speaking to all three at once. "You might as well have a seat and tell me why you're here."

"Jace wants a trial before the clave and I'm willing to vouch for him. Both Clary and I were here when Valentine attacked and Jace fought him off, not helped him. I can confirm Jace's story as the truth." Luke spoke on Jace's behalf.

"I'm not sure what your word is worth." Maryse said to Luke.

"I may be a lycanthrope, but I am also a shadowhunter. I'm willing to be tried by the sword if that helps." Luke spoke.

"You aren't a shadowhunter. You haven't lived by the Law of the Clave in a very long time." Maryse snapped.

"There was a time when you didn't live by it either." Luke shot back and Maryse's face began to turn red.

They discussed Valentine for a few moments and I zoned off again wishing they would talk about the killings. I wanted to know more, know who the victims were, who the murderer was, and what were the intentions behind the awful acts? My mind flashed to Valentine and I knew a big part of me suspected it was him. He had escaped after all and seemed to be set in his goal of 'perfecting' the shadowhunter bloodline. Suddenly, yelling broke out and I couldn't make out words from the many voices trying to talk at once. All I knew it was something about loyalty to Valentine. The only words I caught were Maryse's words towards the end of the yelling and my face paled as I heard them.

"He lied not just to the Clave but to us and used our loyalty and our affection, just as he did when he sent you to us." Maryse spoke to just Jace now. "And now he's back and he has the Mortal Cup. He's been planning all this for years, all along, and I can't afford to trust you, Jace. I'm sorry."