10

I never went back to the library after that. I knew I would probably accidentally spill that I knew something if they questioned me. So instead, I ate an apple and went for a walk to get my mind off of things. I wasn't glamoured, so I got a few strange looks for my outfit. It was pretty hot out, and I was in black skinny jeans with a leather jacket over my black tank top. I decided to go get a coffee from Java Jones.

I walked into the small coffee shop and saw Simon sitting alone at a table in the back. I still felt bad for him, knowing the reason he left was probably because he told Clary he loved her and was rejected. So after I paid for my coffee, I sat down across from him. He looked up a bit startled.

"Hi." I said.

"Um, hey." He stuttered. "What are you doing here?"

"People at the Institute were getting on my nerves." I answered.

"Jace?" He asked and I nodded. "He seems like the type of guy to get on everyone's nerves."

"He's really been getting under my skin the past few days." I said while shaking my head. "I just needed to clear my mind."

"How's... how's Clary?" He asked.

"I haven't talked with her. I've been keeping my distance from everyone really." I said. "I'm sorry about what happened between you and her."

"She told you?"

"No, I just guessed." I said. "I could tell by the way you looked at her that you liked her, and by the way you stormed off, I guessed what happened."

"Oh." He said, looking at his coffee. "Was it that obvious?"

"No, not to her." I said. "Really only to me, because my friend went through the same thing."

"Isabelle?" He asked.

"No, different shadowhunter who no longer lives at the New York Institute. She was transferred." I lied.

"Have they come any closer to finding her mom or the cup?"

"No, they're still clueless." I answered.

"I really shouldn't be mad at Clary." Simon said randomly. "It's not her fault she isn't in love with me."

"But it is her fault that she's distancing herself from you." I said. "Jace is doing the same thing with me."

"Oh, that's right. You and Jace are really good friends, huh?"

"He's been ditching me a lot lately." I answered sadly. "I just want my best friend back."

"I know how you feel." Simon said sympathetically.

"Look at that, we're in the same situation." I sighed.

His phone started ringing the and he answered it. He was on for a few seconds before hanging up and telling me he had to go. He apologized, but I was fine with it. He left as I stared down at my untouched coffee. I picked it up before leaving the shop and walking slowly back to the Institute. I walked in and began walking towards my room when I passed Clary. Remembering what Simon had said, I stopped her.

"I just ran into Simon at the coffee shop and I think you should go talk things out with him." I said.

"I don't think I can." She said. "I think it would be too awkward between us."

"He sounded pretty torn up. He told me he just wanted his best friend back."

"Why are you trying to help us?" She asked.

"I just feel bad for him. He confessed how he really felt and got a pretty bad rejection." I said as she glared. "I'm not trying to put the blame on you, but just go talk to him."

"You just want me away from Jace." She said.

"Excuse me, what?" I said with attitude.

"Just admit that you're in love with Jace and that is what this is really about."

"No, I am not in love with Jace. I'm just trying to be a nice person and help Simon out. But if you want to ditch the boy you've been best friends with for years, just know, it's all your fault."

I turned and walked away leaving her speechless. Was it seriously so obvious that I loved Jace? Could he have figured it out by now? I sighed as I walked all the way back to my room without seeing anyone else. I changed into comfier clothes before walking to the library to get a new book to read.

"Finished the other one so soon?" Alec asked as he entered after me.

I nodded. "Any suggestions on which one to read next?"

"I'm pretty sure you've read all the ones I have, so I've got no new titles to suggest."

I laughed as I began searching the shelves for something that looked interesting. I pulled a few off, looking to see what they were about, but ended up putting them back because I wasn't interested.

"So what's on the agenda for tomorrow?" I asked with a smile.

"Probably just more Clary and the cup talk." Alec sighed.

I rolled my eyes as I concluded they were probably pretending like they had forgotten. Alec handed me a book that he thought looked interesting, and I ended up going with it. We parted ways after we exited the library to go to our own rooms. I sat awake in bed and read my book until I fell asleep with the light still on and the book in my lap.