3

I ran after Clary, barely keeping up with her. I would've been caught up by now if I didn't have all these mundanes in my way. I had to dodge them as I ran because they still couldn't see me and I would've felt bad for knocking them over. The only way I was able to see where Clary had gone was by her red hair. I wish I had a feature that stood out in a crowd, but my light brown hair and blue eyes really was anything abnormal. And my freckles also weren't very unusual, especially since it was summer and the sun really brought them out.

Getting back to the point, I had no idea where Jace was or if he was even following me. I wasn't sure he would after I laughed at him getting slapped by Clary. Eventually, Clary turned down a quieter street and I was able to gain some distance on her. She ran into a house with two floors and I ran in after her. She was already inside her apartment at the top of the stairs by the time I had entered the building. I looked over at the door on my right and wondered who lived there. But my thoughts were interrupted by an explosion from the top floor.

I raced up the stairs to see a demon coming straight at Clary who was lying on the floor helplessly vulnerable. She threw her hand up to protect her face as I stepped in from of her and began battling the demon. I couldn't tell what type of demon it was being that it was still in half dog form. It lunged and bit me in the leg but I didn't scream out. I had had worse injuries. I was able to back it into the kitchen away from Clary and I heard a set of footsteps walking over to her. I knew it was Jace, and I wasn't about to have him come in here and take over, so I swiftly shoved my knife in the demon's stomach and it disappeared into thin air.

I was breathing heavily as I turned to see Jace holding Clary as she cried into his shoulder. A pang of jealously went through me as I realized that was how he held me after I was frightened by one of my nightmares. I looked around and spotted a half empty case of water bottles. Still breathing heavily, I grabbed one and chugged it down. The coldness was refreshing and helped my breathing to slow. I heard Jace telling her that the creature was a demon, and Clary straight out told him she didn't believe it. She then ran downstairs and I sighed before following her down.

"Are you alright?" Jace asked as we got to the bottom of the stairs.

"Yeah, I'm good." I answered before following Clary into the downstairs apartment.

"You're a witch." I stated looking around.

"A fake, though." Jace added.

She introduced herself as Madame Dorothea and explained all about her mother taking her in before having Clary pick a card. I watched as one stuck to her hand. She turned it over to reveal it was the Mortal Cup.

"That is one of three holy objects of my people. What is it doing here?" Jace asked in suspicion.

"My mother painted these cards." Clary whispered, both her and Madame Dorothea ignoring Jace.

Madame Dorothea then tried to read her mind, and I laughed as she jerked Clary's head back. Jace looked over at me with a scolding look, but I just flipped him off.

"There seems to be a block on your mind." Madame Dorothea said before ushering us towards the door.

"But why would my mom want to block my mind? I don't remember anything she'd want me to forget." Clary said before going silent.

"Exactly." I said as Jace again gave me the scolding look.

Madame Dorothea then ushered us out and slammed the door in our faces. We were about to walk outside when we heard movement from Clary's apartment. Without thinking, she ran up the stairs with a fire extinguisher and I was forced to sigh and follow her up. I walked into her apartment and once I saw it was only Simon, I began looking around, being that I didn't really have a chance earlier. Jace followed me and we ended up in the bathroom. Jace picked up the small potion bottle before we walked back to where Clary now stood with Simon.