CHAPTER 7

One day, just like any other day, William and Aydan had just finished their evening practices and were now sitting in a small, cosy coffeehouse at the mall.

Actually, to be more precise, they were sitting in small, cosy coffeehouse at the mall with Claudia. They had ordered iced coffees, even though the weather outside was chilly, and William was sipping his while listening the conversation Aydan and Claudia were having.

This time, William noticed, he wasn't feeling the usual stab of pain in his heart, instead there were two feelings in his mind: boredom and weariness.

Not because he didn't love Aydan anymore or that he had somehow gotten over the heartbreak, he was simply feeling like he didn't need to be there in the first place. Honestly, if Aydan and Claudia were on a date, why was he obliged to be there with them?

William had joined their dates way too many times already, but there was one little thing that was different this time. William and Claudia had their first proper conversation together.

It was by the time when Aydan got a phone call and as it was something urgent, he went outside to talk privately while smoking.

''Um, I was thinking.. I know you like to spend time with Aydan — and I don't mind having you with us — but there's this quiz I'd like to take Aydan this evening and it's kinda just for couples.'' Claudia looked slightly embarrassed when she was talking, and she had an apologetic expression on her face.

It occurred to William that they had never actually had time for just them two to talk about Aydan or this awkward third wheel thing that had been going on for quite some time.

''I won't come with you, don't worry.'' William answered bluntly, giving Claudia an awkward smile.

He wanted to tell her he would rather just leave right now, and that he didn't even want to come in the first place, but he wasn't quite sure how to put that in words.

''I'm sorry if I put you in an awkward situation, but could you make an excuse for Aydan, if he wants you to come today?'' Her green eyes revealed what she thought: Aydan would definitely try to persuade William to join them.

''I will.'' William promised and thought: I would have done so without asking.

This third wheel thing was already getting ridiculous, and William didn't blame Claudia for wanting to spend the evening with just her boyfriend. Aydan seemed to have different ideas.

''No way, you can't go home yet! Just join us at the quiz — it's in that new bar two streets away — and we can go home together if it's boring.'' Aydan said, and Claudia glanced at William desperation in her eyes.

''No, seriously, I have to finish that essay by tomorrow.'' Of course William had made up the lamest excuse, but he didn't really have much time to think about it.

What happened next? Well, they had a totally ridiculous arm wrestling whether William should come with them or go home. It continued so long, that Claudia went to get them snacks meantime and then they just continued the debate while eating those snacks.

It was ludicrous, that Aydan didn't seem to want to go anywhere without William that evening.

She's your girlfriend, so why don't you want to spend time with just her?

''Then I'm not going either.'' Aydan complained.

''Why? You should go with your girlfriend.'' William answered, feeling annoyed by his friend's behaviour. So annoyed and tired he was feeling ill: cold sweat mounting on his skin and a dull pain throbbing on his temples.