CHAPTER 23

''Did you get it?'' Brian asked once they were off the gate and rushing to his car. Aydan's hand were shaking and he felt like he was going to be sick. He was staggering, and that had nothing to do with the alcohol he had had earlier.

''All of it.'' William said and handed his phone to Brian.

Aydan was in hurry to leave.  He was worried about William and his head was filled with images of him. Not just the ashen, teary image from this morning.

An image of William, who smiled at him for the first time after the assault. An image of William closing his eyes, his face bloody and bruised, his hair soaking with water. William in the pool, splashing water on him, laughing. William laying on a hospital bed, drunken William closing his eyes at the back seat of the taxi, William looking at him with a flustered face and eyes dark with desire,.. Images after images, spinning around and around ad infinitum.

Still, he had to wait until Brian listened the recording. He used his headphones, because Aydan couldn't bring himsel to listen it again. When Brian set down the phone, his face had turned green and his expression was a mixture of anger and disbelief.

''We have to call the police. And William's dad. They have to make her pay for what she did.'' Brian uttered the words fast. He was already starting the car, his leg on the gas pedal.

''Yeah, but first I need to see him.'' Aydan said, and he didn't need to say out loud who he meant. Brian knew and that's why he was speeding the car faster than ever.

Then Aydan was running across the yard, past William's car and straight to the door. He rang the doorbell, twice, heart throbbing in his chest so painfully it must have left him bruised inside.

''William! Open the door.'' He yelled, not caring about the neighbours. The door stayed shut, the mansion soundless and desolate.

''William, please. I know everything.'' Aydan pleaded pounding the door with his hands so forcefully he nearly managed to injure himself.

Nothing.

''Please..'' Aydan was crying now, momentarily leaning his forehead against the door. Then the lock turned and the door handle swayed, opening the door with a quiet click.

At first Aydan didn't see anyone, but then he looked down and saw a familiar figure on the floor. William was there exactly where he had left him. He had just slumped on the floor, sitting back against the wall, hugging his knees in. He was shaking and had buried his face on his knees.

''William.'' Aydan cried out and dropped on his knees so he could wrap his arms around William.

This time he didn't stiffen or push him away, he just trembled even more and let out a sob. Aydan settled to sit next to him and hugged him tighter, whispering him it was okay over and over again.

Only then Aydan realised he was still clutching something in his fist. He opened William's hand one finger at a time, gently but resolutely.

At first Aydan spotted the bleeding of his fingers. He had been gripping the watch for hours and the sharp edges of the broken glass display had cut his skin. Then Aydan examined the watch: a Rolex made of white cold. It was William's watch, no doubt.

Someone had cracked the display and painted the cracks with red paint, making it look like an elaborated replica of the mirror Claudia's brother had slammed William's forehead on. It was the watch that had been missing, so it meant the assaulter(s) had brought it back to him. ''We couldn't use real blood, but I think it did send a clear message.''

William held out his other fist, and inside it Aydan found a wrinkled paper. He straightened it carefully and let out a sharp breath. It was a printout of Aydan's picture, smudged with the same red paint, and on the backside stood handwritten words: ''He's next, if you don't stay away from him.''