CHAPTER 13

There was an old song playing from the speakers. Aydan distantly remembered hearing it at his grandparents' when he was young, but he couldn't remember the name of the song or who was playing it.

Only later he found out the song was Ben E. King's Stand by me, yet the song was something he remembered clear as day when he had to recollect what happened that evening. He knew if he were to hear the song again, it would always bring him back to that evening.

Aydan had walked to the table next to a bar counter, where Claudia was talking with her two friends from the band. They were, if Aydan could remember correctly, Mason and Anthony. They wore similar black t-shirts and skinny jeans, and they both seemed to enjoy the sound of their voices. Actually they seemed to have so much to say, that Aydan found it impossible to interrupt and tell Claudia he was leaving. He had no other option than to stand there and listen.

''I swear that was the craziest gig we've ever been at. Everyone in the band were so wasted they could barely play, but the audience was cheering and jumping like it was the best performance ever.. Anyway, that's when we made the..'' Mason was the one talking at that time, but at some point Aydan's mind wandered to the song he was hearing.

And so he forgot to listen the rest of the story. It was surely interesting, but he had a promise to keep and he waited impatiently for a chance to say what he needed to Claudia.

Aydan wasn't wasted, just a little tipsy, and he was already sobering up. Normally he would have enjoyed the conversation - especially the fact he got to talk with someone famous - but he had noticed the uneasiness in William's eyes and he knew his friend had really meant it when he said it was time to go.

''I should really get going now.'' Aydan told Claudia once Mason had finished his story.

''Already?'' Claudia asked.

''Yeah, William wants to leave.'' Aydan said and for a split second he could see disappointment in Claudia's eyes, but just as fast it was gone. He leaned to kiss her lips and briefly wrapped his hands around her waist.

Another thing Aydan could remember clearly from the evening was the smell of Claudia's perfume: it was a mixture of something flowery and rich vanilla, which wasn't the perfume she normally used.

''I'll call you tomorrow. Get home safe, okay?'' Aydan whispered to her ear and Claudia smiled warmly to him. She surely was the most beautiful girl in the clubhouse, if you asked Aydan. He gave another peck on her lips and turned to walk away.

On his way back to the table, Aydan picked up his phone from his pocket and noticed there was a text from William. He had written he would leave without him, if Aydan didn't make it back soon, and the text was sent ten minutes ago. Aydan hastened his steps and looked around when he was back at the table.

''Have you seen William?'' He asked from Brooke and Josh, who were having a devoted conversation. The music was playing loudly and they had had to lean close to hear each other.

Josh shrugged and Brooke said he should ask George. Without delay Aydan walked to George, who was flirting with some blonde girl Aydan had never seen.

''Where's W?'' He asked, and the words came from his mouth more accusatively than he meant.

''I don't know. Toilet maybe?'' George answered, ignoring the tone Aydan had used. Aydan thanked him quickly and started texting William.

With his free hand he picked his jacket, but as he didn't notice William's jacket at the other end of the sofa, he wrote: ''Where are you? If you really left without me, I'm going to be mad.''

He walked towards the men's room, since that was what George had suggested, and started typing another text: ''Are y'', but he didn't make it any further.