CHAPTER 12

The gig Claudia was talking about was held in an old, not so luxurious clubhouse and her friends were two guys who where part of some not-yet-so-famous rock band. Aydan had told William it was because they mostly sang covers, but that they did have some pretty promising songs written as well, so the gig was to get them a kick-start in the industry.

Claudia had been thoughtful when she had gotten the ticket for William as well, and that was pretty much the only thing that kept William from canceling his promise.

Clubbing was the last thing in William's mind at that moment. He had the Nationals coming, the very next day, and that should have been enough reason for him to stay away — but no, that wasn't enough for the others.

The Nationals, a.k.a The Swimming National Championships, would be held in the city 4 pm, so he could easily sleep long the next day. William had said yes to the invitation with two conditions: he didn't have to drink anything and Aydan would be ready to leave the clubhouse not later than 11 pm or he would have to walk home.

William had made sure everything was packed for the Nationals: his swimsuit, goggles, swim cap and other necessities such as towel and snacks.

Before the competition he had had to exercise less to make sure his performance would be the best possible when the zero hour came. William was excited about the competition, which was after all something he had trained for nearly two years already, and he secretly dreamed he would make it to the internationals next.

Still, William knew he wasn't as enthusiastic he knew he should have been, because of his state of mood. The gig at the clubhouse the day before the Nationals didn't increase his mood either.

William wasn't good with people and during these past months he had gotten even more awkward and anxious among them. He didn't want to see Claudia and having to see the rest of the group was even more terrifying.

William had seen Aydan more often these days, because apparently Aydan thought it was okay to disappear for months and then come back like nothing happened.

William had reached a point where he no longer maintained hope for Aydan staying in his life. He no longer maintained hope for Aydan to keep his promise for never leaving him, because that was starting to see inevitable. William didn't have hopes for pretty much anything, but some part of him kept allowing Aydan to act the way he acted and come and go as he wanted, as long as he could get even a moment of his attention.

''Are your parents coming tomorrow?'' Aydan asked. He was lounging on William's bed, and he seemed to be in a good mood.

Aydan had cut his hair, but it was still quite long — just like William liked it — and he was wearing black jeans and a light blue t-shirt. His current look was presumably a compromise of his and Claudia's preferences: the black jeans, bracelets and combat boots were Aydan's choices and the blue shirt and the denim jacket, which was bundled on the bed, were Claudia's.

William thought about Claudia that she was being a nice and adjustable girlfriend, but he couldn't understand why she felt the need to change Aydan.

I would never try to change the way he looks, William wondered in his mind. Only then he realised he hadn't answered Aydan's question yet and it was starting to get awkward.

''Dad's coming.'' William answered while looking at his reflection from the big mirrors. He was wearing a simple white shirt, made from soft and gauzy material, black ankle length pants and sneakers.

William didn't like the black circles or the dull eyes that stared him from the mirror, but he was long past caring if he looked fancy or stylish.