12 ATTACK

Marva had to witness everything in her mind's eye because Sorem hid himself behind the wagon. Matax jumped in front of Jeze, an action that had Jeze giggling.

"You do love me."

"Just shut up," he growled.

The hunchback did nothing. His wife, standing before the wagon which Sorem hid behind, asked, "What should I do, husband?"

"Don't run. It won't help," Wyrn answered. "Just stay perfectly still."

"Maybe we can—I can talk to it," she insisted.

With a shake of his head, Wyrn said, "No loyalty, remember?"

All fell silent for some time save for Jeze's giggles which she fought to stifle against Matax's back. Each time he gripped her tighter, pulling her close behind him, she let out a laugh.

Marva searched her memory for yellow fairies and came to one conclusion—the laughing wasn't always the fairy's fault, or even something stoppable. It was just now a part of their magic. As such, they could bring others to laugh much like they'd done for Vadde as she lay in that lagoon despaired.

"Perhaps," Matax began, scanning the high grass to the right of the statue, "perhaps this is one of Jeze's pranks."

She took insult despite her laugh. "It is not."

Finally, Wyrn agreed. "Yes. Maybe." But despite his words, he kept his hand up and held behind him at his wife, ordering her to stay back. "Let's go," he said, turning to give his back to the statue.

A growl broke through the field and something black leapt from the tall grass, aiming right for Vadde.

What happened next ended before Marva could register it.

The wolf pounced and the hunchback jumped before his wife, ducked down then swung up, catching it in the gut.

Wyrn'd moved like something inhuman. He wasn't human, perhaps.

Speed was the main thing giving werewolves their notoriety. The fact that he'd struck it was amazing, but it didn't end there.

The wolf dropped, winded. Before it could regain its composure again, Wyrn marched to it and grabbed it by its throat, hoisting it up.

"Calm down, bitch," Wyrn said, "I have no quarrel with you."

Werewolves outweighed regular wolves. One would think otherwise with the ease of Wyrn's saunter toward the statue.

"Husband, be careful!" Vadde begged.

"It's fine. I'll put him back and hopefully he'll take the hint."

Wyrn walked past the statue and into the tall grass.

The earth rumbled, forcing him to look back. A collective gasp broke out.

One leg of the statue rose up, then the other, popping out of the ground. It then lurched after Wyrn.

"What is happening?" Vadde marveled.

She wasn't the only one surprised. Wyrn waited for the statue to come to a stop beside him before he regarded the werewolf in his grip once more.

To test his theory, he took five steps forward. The statue followed. After a long pause, the statue jammed its foot down into the ground, one then the other.

Matax laughed, amazed. "Your border's increased."

Wyrn furrowed his brow. "Not without consequences." He looked up at his catch. "What are you?"