25 PRACTICE

Sorem was careful when he counted the last of his money. The new dress the Jvalan wore looked lovely on her. Her figure fit it well.

As they sat side by side in the morning, her leg brushing against his had his heart pounding fast. Her skin tone was so different from everyone else's but he did not really care. Mostly he'd forget until he heard someone whisper.

After two days of meaningless sex, he decided that he'd never go back. Her hand slid up his leg, cupping his groin and he hung his head to keep his smile back.

In time, that grin, along with his arousal, faded.

She noticed. "What is it?"

In their room, he would kiss her, but in public, he never approached her without her making the first move.

Should the sex truly be meaningless, let it be meaningless. But today was the first time he understood what Vadde had meant about craving someone.

The Jvalan woke him up to take what she wanted usually. It was not uncommon for him to open his eyes and find her sitting on his stomach.

Yes. Meaningless sex made all the difference and upon knowing women could be equally as sexually ravenous as men, he forgave far more in others than he knew to be wise.

"There's still enough," Sorem said.

"Hmm?"

Sorem hesitated. This was the last of their money and he was unsure where the rest would come from.

The Jvalan moved closer to him, hand still stroking him, chest pressed against his arm as she looked over his shoulder to the coins. After taking someone to bed once, it seemed wrong to call her Jvalan yet she never gave him a name.

He reminded himself that their time together was fleeting, and it was best to part ways with no name after all.

"What do you intend to buy?"

Shame pulsed through him at first until he found his resolve. "I hadn't come here for revenge. Just...to answer a 'what if' question." At her silence, he risked meeting her gaze.

Little by little, her look of confusion dulled then her expression lit up.

"That's wonderful. I encourage your efforts."

As he suspected, her hand retreated so he caught it in place. It didn't seem right to force her to do this, especially not in public, so he let her go, grumbling, "You said it was meaningless."

"It is," she insisted.

As sincere as her words were, he regretted this admission.

Their time together was meaningless, but couldn't they have enjoyed it another day or two? With this money, they could remain tucked away in this place for another two nights.

For a long minute, neither of them spoke.

"I suppose...you're leaving tonight then," Sorem hazarded a guess.

The Jvalan affirmed, "If that is what you'd like." She craned her head to the right and looked up at him. "I suspect you'll be busy."

Her sitting up and giving him space left him feeling cold.

Sorem stared down at his money. Mo'el passed by to retrieve his empty plate. Her eyes caught it and her lips parted.

He meant to look at her and let his intent be known but he couldn't muster up the strength to move, even with the Jvalan's gentle nudging of his foot.

Mo'el lingered for as long as she dared but it was the Jvalan who scooped up the coin and handed it to her. "Miss, my...." She hesitated with the next word but settled on something that made her voice sound strange. "My prince would like an audience."