Chapter 2: flashlight

« I don't know what you are talking about mister Newton. Please leave this room I need to use the bathroom »
« Who are you? »
I tilted my head on the right side and let out a sigh « my name is Regina »
His eyes locked mine as he was processing this information. My tongue traveled my lower lip as I broke our staring moment « can I access the sink now? »
You softly nodded letting me pass. It's funny how the simple mention of my name completely destabilized you. I approached my goal and turned the water on to wash my hands. Let me explain you what's going on in your head. You are absolutely sure you already heard my name somewhere. You are correct you did more than once. Yet too bad for you you can't remember where or from who. I softly smiled. Predictable. I know you are frustrated by the way you fist your hands. You have no intention to get violent only your brain is working too intensely so your body needs to let it out and apply pressure somewhere. How do I know it's focus and not violence? You are frowning. Not clenching your teeth. It's Then obvious. 3...2...
« Why do i feel like I know you ? »
I smiled brighter. Bingo. « Because You do »
« How? »
I turned to face you and leaned against the wall « if I give you every answer at the same time it's not funny is it? »
You approached me all of a sudden. Again, predictable. And the fact I leaned against the wall stops you from pinning me there, and so, makes your physical threat much less scary. My eyes followed your moves until you came close and they met yours.
« Tell me. Now »
« Or what? Are you gonna hurt me? Um. No. That's not your style »
« How the fuck do you know what's my style? »
I dropped my head against the cold wall behind me watching the need of answers grow inside your belly and eat you alive.
« I- »
All of a sudden the door broke and five security guards invaded the bathroom taking you away from me and grabbing my arms « back in your rooms » they simply said before dragging us through the dark hallways back to our cells. I smiled. Maybe someone did start a fight in the hall after all.

« Faster Regina »
« Emily i can't go faster with this computer » I said focusing not to miss any data
« We are going to get caught they are coming » she said checking her watch.
We could already hear them running to us trying to open every door we locked with a virus I created.
« Hurry! »
« Okay i am done » I Saïd removing the USB key and the next second Emily was pushing me out the window. That's when an army of men with military weapons stormed in. We closed the window and as I was about to run the lady grabbed my arm to pull me against the roof and pin me there
« Stop breathing » she said and herself obeyed her own order.
I looked at her and took a deep breath before locking the air inside my lungs. Their machine can detect movement. Of course, even tho we are not breathing we are still moving but not enough for them to know where we are. They are gonna confuse us with birds or simply the wind. It's dark outside but the Sky is full of stars. I looked at them feeling my heart beating harder and stronger inside my chest. It's craving for air. I have tiny pulsions in my throat begging me to open my mouth as it starts burning. The stars become lightly blurry. Emily grabs my hand and I lay my eyes on her. A few more seconds and they will be gone.

The blonde lady laid a glass of water on the wooden table of the flat I live in along with some medicine. « You okay? » she asked me.
I nodded and swallowed the pills.
« We almost got caught »
« I need a faster computer Emily »
« I know » she rubbed her forehead « look it's complicated these months. We have to pay my son's college. But I Can get you a new computer in the following weeks »
I nodded again « perfect » I brought my hair into a poney tail « does he even know you are doing this all for him? »
« Of course he doesn't. He has no idea what's going on. That's exactly why he will need you once in the institute »
I wrapped my fingers around the glass and went to sit on the couch « I know. You told me a million times already. I will protect him »
« We both know you will. Thank you for that »
I looked at the tired features of my only family. Of course I will.

The stars shine just as bright as that night. I lay against the roof of the institute and looked at you through the window of your room. You look like her. I closed my eyes to feel the air caress the skin on my arms and hands before lightly opening them again. Blinded by the light those tiny sparkles create in the night. Those are the kind of nights where I regret what happened between us Emily. The kind of nights where I wish I didn't know that your son, will be the death of me. I sat up when your look crossed mine through the dirty glass of your window. Death never looked so good.