Chapter 1 (edited)

Mia POV

I shove the pillow over my head with a groan as my alarm blares. First day of school always sucks ass. After contemplating my life choices, I finally get up and start getting ready for school. Dragging myself to the closet I pick a pair of blue jeans and a plain light blue t-shirt.

With a dramatic sigh I move to the bathroom. Showering, brushing my teeth, changing, I brush out my curly hair and throw it into a bun. Throwing on my black and white beat up converse and a hoodie I quietly sneak out of my room.

I feel like I'm in mission impossible as I creep down the stairs. My drunk of a mother, Martha, passed out of the sofa, Martin nowhere to be found. Of course.

Grabbing my backpack off the couch and a granola bar from the kitchen, I bolt out the door.

The walk to school was quiet, and not the comfortable kind of quite. It has an eerie feeling, I feel like someone is watching me.

Instantly Micheal Jackson pops into my head.

After about 15 minutes I arrive at school, the school ground are bustling with freshman and up to seniors. People glance me way, either a small wave, a nod, a glare or just ignoring me. Most waving at me or nodding in acknowledgment. Walking through the double doors I make my way to my locker.

I have a reputation in school, I don't like bullies. If you wanna get specific, a lot of the school hates bullies.

The football and cheer team happen to be full of them.

The quarter back Jason Carter found that out last year, he was hitting on a freshman girl. He was asking her out and she kept refusing. Stepping in I told him to leave the poor girl alone. Some words were exchanged, he tried to swing at me. I knocked his ass out.

Serves him right.

Finally reaching my locker on the second floor I put in my com, I pull out my history book.

As I pull out my phone to check the time my locker gets slammed shut. I snap my head to my right.

Katelyn Monroe.

Head cheerleader, truly doesn't know how to keep her legs closed. Her grudge against me started freshman year. The guy she was "dating" started to like me and broke it off with her. She approached me the next day attempting to intimidate me, I just ignored her and went on my way to class. She tried to pull me back and slap me, I gave a black eye and a broken nose.

She stand with a heated glare on her face, I keep my face calm and collected. I just got here, what the fuck did I do?

"Can I help you with something dear?"

Her glare hardens slightly, "Me and Jason are dating, I want you to stay away from him."

I raise my eye brow, a glare now making it way into my face. "Why would I want to go anywhere near his nasty ass?"

She scoffs and rolls her eyes " because your a slut who doesn't know her place."

The audacity, " listen here honey your the whore here, you open your legs to 90% of the student body because your desperate. You go around using your 'looks' that your mommy gave you and your daddy's money just to get people in bed with. So don't you dare come over here and call me a slut." I pick up the end of one of her braids and twirl it around my fingers

"Because if come back insulting me or others about whoring themselves around? I would be doing the student body a favor by knocking your ass out. I don't give a damn if your mom is the principal. I can be just as dangerous if you make me angry. I'm not playing games this year sweetheart."

Her face was priceless, ending with a slight smirk I turn around and head to history class, leaving her speechless and embarrassed with snickering classmates. But a part of me thinks she still won't learn to leave people alone.

Upon entering history Mr. Tiles looks up and smiles slightly "Good morning Mia, how is your morning." I still have the same smirk on my face "Well I've already insulted someone, I haven't got physical yet so it's alright." He shakes his head chuckling as I sit down.

———

Finally it the end of the day, walking out of English 12 I walk to my locker right across the hall. I throw my stuff in my locker grab my backpack, shoving any homework I need before slamming it shut and making my way out.

Like, seriously? Homework on the first day.

Starting my 15 minute walk, I have a feeling. Looking over my shoulder I don't see anyone, I try to shrug it off.

As I reach the house I notice Martin's car in the driveway. I curse under my breath, can't I catch a fucking break with him.

As I quietly step threw the door and immediately I'm pushed up against it, causing it to slam shut. I wince as I my head snaps and slams against the door, his hand closes around my throat. He grip tightens as he speaks, he has a sinister smirk and he reeks of alcohol.

"Your late, you were supposed to be here to cook dinner 5 minutes ago."

I give him my hardest glare "school let out 20 minutes ago you dumb fuck it's a 15 minute walk, besides it's only 2:30." With that I push him off me. I usually try to stay away from him but there are time I do have to hold me ground. I've gotten physical with him, multiple time. Unfortunately he is a lot bigger than me.

As I start to walk away he grabs my hand, oh hell no. Spinning around I throw a punch square in the nose and hear a satisfying crack. He hits the walk behind him holding his face with his hands groaning.

It when he's drunk I can get the upper hand.

"Just trying to grab me like that again and you can make your own dinner."

Walking to my room I shut the door and lock it and start getting ready for work. Changing I eye my tattoos that are over my bigger scars I have. The one on the back of my shoulder being my first. My boss Alex tatted a red rose with a vine and spiderweb wrapped around it, his can really tattoo anything.

Finishing my routine I'm finally walking out the door to Alex's tattoo shop. The 30 minute walk consisting of me looking over my shoulder every once in a while. Upon reaching work, I walk in seeing Justine, Alex's wife, finishing up her customer. When she hears the door she looks up and smiles when she sees me. After the customer pays and leaves she gets up and hugs me. "Hi Mia, how are you today sweets?"

I just shrug my shoulders, "school was fine, I had a little run in with Martin when I got home but aside from that it's fine."

Upon hearing Martins name her face hardens, before she can say anything the door bell rings and someone walks in. I put my hand in her shoulder and squeeze it. I give her a reassuring smile before I walk past her to my station.

I wash my hands, heating up my equipment, I start with my first customer of the day.