Part 7 | A Terrace Talk

KARTIK

It was 10 past at night when I was in my bed lying under the duvet that covered my lower body, staring at the ceiling. My mind drifted back to today's events.

I would be lying if I say I wasn't smitten by Naira when I saw her in that red saree. She looked so beautiful that I couldn't shift my gaze away from her. When I noticed a pinch of sindoor adorning her hairline, don't ask me why but I felt contented seeing her as my wife.

Let me be honest, I was worried about my parent's reaction. Despite being ' cool and modern ', I very well knew how particular they are when it comes to marriage and family.

They wouldn't be really happy when I just walk up and introduced a random person as my wife.... or that's what I thought. But what surprised me was how they accepted Naira in such a short meet. She comfortably mingled with them. I mean, there was no awkward moments or tension in the air, just laughter and light moments.

I guess it was one of her quality, No one could dislike a girl like her.

While mom was talking to Naira in the kitchen about God knows what, Dad proposed me the idea of keeping a reception to announce my marriage before the press but I had promised Naira. I wouldn't reveal this affair until she is really comfortable with me and this relationship. Thankfully dad accepted my excuse of work and said we would have a reception after 6 months or so.

I feel guilty for lying to my parents but I couldn't bring myself to reveal the truth, not after seeing them so happy and relieved. I didn't want to break their hopes.

Sitting up I pushed the duvet and walked out of the room. The house was dead silent and I suppose she slept. I made my way to the terrace, the full moon glowing in the dark sky.

But it wasn't only me who enjoyed the gentle winds. She stood there in her pyjamas, probably listening to some music in her earphones. Absent mindedly she was singing the lyrics out loud.

It was some English song I haven't heard before but I found myself liking it. She had a melodious voice and her singing was pretty good. I stood behind her not wanting to interrupt the moment.

But I guess she noticed my presence. She removed her earphones and looked away slightly embarrassed. I chuckled.

" It's fine, I enjoyed it! " I tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. Even my small compliment made her blush.

Cute, isn't she?

" Didn't sleep yet? " I nodded in a no.

There was a brief pause of silence.

" Thanks. You managed it so well this morning. " I heard a small laugh from her side.

" Not better than you. I thought we will be caught when our answer didn't synchronise to your mom's question." She replied.

" That wasn't a lie." her eyebrows furrowed together.

" I saw you for the first time in that children's park. That wasn't a story, it was the truth. " Her eyes widened.

" Are you serious? " I nodded.

" You wore a yellow knee length frock holding a basket full of chocolates among the kids who were circling you, playing and laughing. " she looked at me surprised.

" And I saw you eating cotton candy secretly!" I winked at her.

That was the first time my eyes fell on her. All smiling and playing with those kids, she looked so happy. It was like she was spreading joy in the air that I smiled involuntarily seeing her.