Part 12 | Birthday Surprise

KARTIK

I woke up feeling a tickling sensation on my face. Naira laid beside me, her head resting on my chest. My fingers traced her face as I slowly moved the few stands of hair that was randomly spread across. Not wanting to wake her up, I simply fixed my gaze on her.

She was indeed a beautiful sight to wake up to.

She stirred and opened her eyes. Her eyes went wide, hurried to get off the bed but I held her wrist and pulled her back to the bed.

" Where are you running ? " I caressed her cheeks.

" I... You had a nightmare yesterday... So I came in to help you. I didn't mean to intrude into your privacy.... It's just that I couldn't leave you in that state." She said looking down.

I freaking hate my nightmares. It's has been haunting me for the past 2 years. Days I have a nightmare, It usually leaves me sleepless all night.
But surprisingly yesterday was different.

It wouldn't be a lie to say I had the best sleep in the past two years last night. With her in my arms, I was able to sleep peacefully. I don't know why but When I hold her, It felt like a relief.

" Were you worried for me? " I gently lifted her face sliding my fingers under her cheeks.

" I was. " She replied after a thought.

" Why? " I asked in a husky voice.

" B-because I care for you. " Her instant reply made me smile. Knowing she cares for me, made me feel contented.

Pecking her cheeks has now become my favourite tease move. I love the way her cheeks reddens and she bits her inner cheeks unconsciously as a shy smile plays on her lips that she tries to hid quickly.

---------------------

" Is everything ready, she will be here Anytime!! " Aditi yelled as she peeped out of the window, checking if Naira had reached home.

" You haven't revealed her anything right loudspeaker? " Dhruv asked his little sister.

" Don't forget last time it was you who broke the suspense early, not me! " She rolled her eyes.

" I hope she likes the cake ? " Arjun said as he placed the cake on the table.

" She loves black forest ! " Me and aditi spoke in unison.

" Not bad Kartik! You do know your wife's favourites.... " she appreciated with a giggle.

Today is Naira's Birthday and her friends are super excited unlike her. I thought she will be excited for her Birthday, but I guess that's not how it is.

How does one even forget their very own birthday....

" Doesn't she get excited for her birthday? She behaves like this is just an other day. " Arjun asked.

Dhruv and Aditi exchange glances before Dhruv muttered silently, " Not after her parents death. Their death anniversary falls on the very next day, that is tomorrow. "

Sudden silence filled the room, I feel sorry for whatever she had faced. I don't know what had happened years ago, how her parents died and how she overcome the pain. I have no clue how she would have felt back then or how bad the scar still hurts?

She has never spoken about her past or pain. I don't know if she will ever open up to me.
But I wish she does.... Someday!

" They are here! " Mom squealed excited.

Naira turned on the lights and the party poppers bursted as a shower of glitters and sparkling crape paper bits covered her.

" HAPPY BIRTHDAY NAIRA!!" Yelling wish filled the room.