Reyna

"You what?" Anger bubbled just below the surface of Jason's voice.

Reyna's head hurt. "He killed Gwen, Jason! She is- I mean she was the first friend I made here."

"Piper and Leo are my friends! You can't just threaten them like that. If I had been there-"

"You'd what?" Reyna growled. "I'm the senior praetor, Jason, not you!"

A pinch of color rose to Jason's cheeks. "That doesn't mean you get to threaten to kill my friends."

"Don't tell me what I can and can't do. You give up that right when you left."

"I didn't leave!! I was taken by Hera of all people. Was I supposed to ignore the queen of the gods?"

"Oh you have no problem doing that now, right?"

Jason grimaced. "I'm doing the best I can, okay?"

"So am I. And with Annabeth's knowledge and Leo's... expertise we can totally wipe the Greeks out."

"You were hesitant about this plan before, what changed?"

"What the hell you think!?" Reyna's voice had more venom than she intended.

Jason bit his lip. "I loved Gwen too, you know. It's just... Leo and Piper didn't kill her."

Reyna stared out the window of the senate at the bustle of New Rome below. "I know. But if we are going to beat the Greeks this is the best way."

Jason joined her at the window, close but not touching. "Do you really believe that?"

Reyna frowned. "Jason, you convinced me this was the best way."

He turned to look at her, his remaining eye bright with tears. "I didn't think it would cause this much suffering."

On impulse, Reyna reached up and traced his scar, a slightly raised slash from his forehead to his lip. Jason froze, his lips parted as he searched her face.

"If Gaea rises," Reyna said softly, "we're all going to suffer."

Jason leaned into her hand for a moment, then stepped away. "You're right. Just... let me speak to them, okay? I have to let them know I'm still on their side."

Reyna swallowed and withdrew her hand. "Of course. But I doubt they'll see it that way."

"Gwen's death... we can't let it be in vain," Jason said. "We have to keep this up."

"I agree. I'll rally the troops, send out more search parties. I will bring Jackson back."

At Jason's departure, Reyna stepped out on the senate balcony, the fresh spring air invigorating. She had nearly lost Gwen once, back during the war games, but this time she was really gone. Gwen who eagerly welcomed Reyna to New Rome, who talked too much when she was nervous, who gladly led the fifth cohort even when all the odds were against her. She had a dad back home in Michigan, but Reyna had no way to contact him. The world shouldn't look this beautiful without Gwen, Reyna thought bitterly. She let the breeze blow stray pieces of her hair across her face as she watched the Little Tiber below her.

Soft footsteps approached behind her. "Reyna?" Dakota stood behind her, his eyes red and hair a mess. "Is it- is it true?"

Reyna swallowed. Gwen was Dakota's fellow centurion and best friend. "I'm sorry, Dakota, I- I don't-"

Dakota started forward and wrapped his arms around Reyna, taking her completely by surprise. But she returned his hug, and let him sob into her shoulder. Gods, all those times the five of them sat around their table, all the wars they fought together, Reyna blinked the tears out of her eyes as Dakota stepped away.

"I'm sorry." He wiped his eyes. "It's just, you and Gwen were really close and you're the only one I can talk to and-"

"Dakota." Reyna place her hand on his arm. "It's fine."

He pulled something out of his pocket and joined Reyna at the railing. "I always thought we'd all come back every year and reminisce about the good old days." Dakota took a swig from what Reyna realized was a flask. "All those pranks we pulled, when you, Jason, and Octavian went on your first quest, the first time you tried a hotdog...."

Reyna's smile twisted. "And then Octavian turned psycho, Jason went missing, and Gwen died."

"Exactly." Dakota handed Reyna his flask. "We don't get happy endings, do we?"

Reyna took a swig, cringing at the bitter taste of whatever liquor was inside. "No, we don't."

Dakota caught her expression and half-smiled. "It's wine. I usually put kool-aide inside but I guess dad must have thought I needed this."

Reyna snorted, the wine bubbling and warm inside her. "How incredibly thoughtful."

"Yeah. Can't fight a giant, but he can send my alcohol."

"You she should see what Bellona gave me. Oh wait! Nothing because the only time I saw her was to separate my sister and I."

Dakota took another drink. "Fuck the gods."

"Fuck the gods," Reyna echoed. She didn't care if they blasted her for that. If they were coherent enough to be listening, they were coherent enough to fight the giants.

Dakota looked at her sideways. "So what now?"

"Now I send out more search parties. But if we can't find Jackson in the next couple days I'm calling everyone back to shore up defenses." Reyna turned to face him. "I fully intend to win this war, Dakota. If not for saving the world, then for Gwen."

"For Gwen," Dakota said bitterly, raising his flask to the air.

"For Gwen," Reyna agreed.